[NatureNS] nest surprise

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 14:27:01 -0300

White Point, Queens

How exciting! It is amazing where ducks can arrive with chicks in tow.
sometimes they need help being transported out again.

Things are fairly quiet. We have taken down most feeders Hummingbird feeder
is out now, and the grapevine will be cut down hopefully this week. It is
beyond repair so needs all new construction when I can get a load of lumber.
It was infested with Japanese Beetle last year and the year before so I am
not sure what I will do.

The birds all come to see things gone. The Kinglets were last seen a week
ago yesterday. We have a number of Woodpeckers about, Hairy, Downy, Northern
Flickers (one of which died result of a window strike next door) and there
is a Pileated moving about the neighbourhood. Sparrows: Song and
White -throateds are here as usual; after a snow mid week, the Chipping
Sparrow dropped in for a bit. Chickadees, a few Juncos, Purple Finches, a
number some days, way Too many Grackles, a few Starlings and some Robins.
Missing still are the Nuthatches, the Creepers and so far no Tree Swallows
aside from a couple way early that did not stay. We still have a number of
Goldfinches. And Blue Jays. A couple of crows are here each day and usually
a couple times a week their families come check on them. There are Bald
Eagles about, might be a nest somewhere close. One is hunting in behind
here, probably hoping for a cat or bunny.

Sadly we are seeing no Chipmunks. None at all. There are many cats now. Used
to be 7 but now I see two new  to us ones about, possibly even a third.  I
wonder if some aren't being dumped.
I have seen several times Herons moving by along the shore.

On my walk today, I was going down my drive and there was excavating
happening within the trunk. Out popped a Downy Head. She rested and we
nattered a wee time then back to work she went. I continued on my way. On my
return I went in, got my camera and went back to the tree. She watched me
for a bit, went back to work then started spitting out the bits and pieces
she mined. She posed for a couple pictures then went back about her business
and I left feeling very satisfied.

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
MargMillard.ca By Appointment, please

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tunes without the words
And never stops-at all." (Emily Dickinson)