[NatureNS] Ruffed Grouse family

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:57:53 -0300

Hi John, Nancy and all.

     My impression of Ruffed Grouse habitat is 1) they are fond of
vigorous buds (e.g. apple, young Poplar) during the dormant season, 2)
Spruce 2' high in areas sheltered from wind in three directions (great
snow tents) for winter comfort,  3) small south facing hollows during
the warm seasons, more insects perhaps and 4) apples; especially apples
in late fall.  When gloriously drunk on apples after an overnight sleep,
and flying through a thicket at dawn they collide with and bounce off of
a surprising number of shrubs; as the saying goes 'feeling no pain'.

YT, DW, Kentville