[NatureNS] Piping Plover, Red-necked Phalaropes and Killdeer

From: Parker Donham <parker@donham.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:01:51 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;div style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-famil
--0000000000004fd2ca05a421481c

I'm not an epidemiologist, but I think the answer to your question is
simple. Every time you step outside, society incurs a small risk of
spreading the virus=E2=80=94from you to others, or from others to you. If y=
ou walk
to the park, you may well encounter someone on the way there, on the way
home, or on the walk itself. You will probably touch surfaces that others
have touched, or will touch. Those you encounter may not be as
conscientious as you about maintaining 2M separation. They may not be
wearing a mask. They may not cough into their sleeves. They may have the
virus but be unaware. Like you, they may feel the rules are too strict, and
nothing is going to happen to them. If you pass a jogger or a cyclist, you
and they may be unaware that joggers and cyclists spread a contrail of
potentially infected droplets ~6M long behind them
<https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covi=
d-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08>.
If you drive to the park, you will increase the frequency with which you
have to fill up with gas, a process that is fraught with risk. You may have
to park in a parking lot and intermingle with other drivers.

If it was only you, and only one trip to the park, you might well conclude
that the risk, though definitely non-zero, is trivial. The Medical Officer
of Health doesn't have the luxury of considering your trip to the park in
isolation. He has to multiply the small risk of your trip by the tens of
thousands of birders, hikers, dirt-bikers, 4-wheelers, exercise buffs, etc.
who would dearly like to indulge their favored pastimes. Public Health
officials know that if everybody does what you insist on doing, the virus
will spread, essential workers will be put at risk, people will get
seriously ill, and some people may die.

The Public Health officials design *collective* rules to reduce the
*collective* risk. Are you too important to follow the rules required to
maintain public safety in a public health emergency? If you are willing to
take the risk of getting sick yourself, what gives you the right to
increase the risk for others who may be more vulnerable than you?

Yes, the Public Health Emergency Order has compromised civil liberties.
Public health emergencies are one of the rare cases where infringing your
liberties is justified.

Don't be selfish. Don't act as if you are too important or too special to
follow the rules others must follow. Most especially, don't go on online
forums and encourage others to flout the rules.

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 2:34 PM David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter & All
>
>     Please explain how walking alone in Miners Marsh, where there is ampl=
> room for social distancing, can endanger anyone.
>
> YT, DW Kentville
> On 4/25/2020 12:54 PM, Peter Payzant wrote:
>
> On 2020-04-25 12:26 PM, Parker Donham wrote:
>
> Nonsense! This virus is deadly...
>
> If you persist in thumbing your nose at the Emergency Public Health Order=
,
> I urge others to report you. I hope your car will be impounded and a fine
> imposed.
>

> +1
>
> Peter Payzant

--=20
*Parker Donh**am*
  +1-902-565-5555
  parker@donham.ca
  Contrarian.ca

--0000000000004fd2ca05a421481c

our question is simple. Every time you step outside, society incurs a small=
 risk of spreading the virus=E2=80=94from you to others, or from others to =
you. If you walk to the park, you may well encounter someone on the way the=
re, on the way home, or on the walk itself. You will probably touch surface=
s that others have touched, or will touch. Those you encounter may not be a=
s conscientious as you about maintaining 2M separation. They may not be wea=
ring a mask. They may not cough into their sleeves. They may have the virus=
 but be unaware. Like you, they may feel the rules are too strict, and noth=
ing is going to happen to them. If you pass a jogger or a cyclist, you and =
they may be unaware that <a href=3D"https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgi=
an-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-=
each-other-a5df19c77d08">joggers and cyclists spread a contrail of potentia=
lly infected droplets ~6M long behind them</a>. If you drive to the park, y=
ou will increase the frequency with which you have to fill up with gas, a p=
rocess that is fraught with risk. You may have to park in a parking lot and=
 intermingle with other drivers.<br><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:s=
mall">If it was only you, and only one trip to the park, you might well con=
clude that the risk, though definitely non-zero, is trivial. The Medical Of=
ficer of Health doesn&#39;t have the luxury of considering your trip to the=
 park in isolation. He has to multiply the small risk of your trip by the t=
ens of thousands of birders, hikers, dirt-bikers, 4-wheelers, exercise buff=
s, etc. who would dearly like to indulge their favored pastimes. Public Hea=
lth officials know that if everybody does what you insist on doing, the vir=
us will spread, essential workers will be put at risk, people will get seri=
ously ill, and some people may die. <br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"f=
ont-size:small">The Public Health officials design <i>collective</i> rules =
to reduce the <i>collective</i> risk. Are you too important to follow the r=
ules required to maintain public safety in a public health emergency? If yo=
u are willing to take the risk of getting sick yourself, what gives you the=
 right to increase the risk for others who may be more vulnerable than you?=
 class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Yes, the Public Health E=
mergency Order has compromised civil liberties. Public health emergencies a=
re one of the rare cases where infringing your liberties is justified.</div=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Don&#39;t be selfish. Don&#39=
;t act as if you are too important or too special to follow the rules other=
s must follow. Most especially, don&#39;t go on online forums and encourage=
 others to flout the rules.<br>