[NatureNS] RE: Common sense and caution

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 13:15:19 -0300

&gt; &gt; counterclockwise in cold weather. One could limit the number of hikers
Hi Bev and All,

     For starters our world views are closer than you may imagine. I
think you tend to condemn clear cuts and those who do it whereas I have
tried to understand the forces which have led to this deplorable
practice and attempted to have these forces changed. And with regard to
access to woodland, trails etc. I see only full agreement.

     It is to be found in (drawing on memory) in clause 33 part 3 of the
Crown Lands Act which says that permission to cut a specific parcel of
Crown Land  is valid for only two years with possible extension for a
further 12  months by application. This in effect says Cut and Run. The
minister tells me that clear cuts are the rare exception now but other
sources say otherwise. Selective cutting can, in many situations,
involve a huge investment to tweak forest cover to one amenable to
economic selective harvesting so can be undertaken only if cover
ownership is perpetual with provision for sale of that ownership back to
the crown. Under my proposal the Crown would own the land and
consequently maintain control.

     The merits of selective cutting do not involve more than a basic
understanding of growth; slow initially and logarithmic under best
conditions.

     I deduced these merits when I was 8 years old. Because I was an
essential half of my father's crosscut saw team (after school and on
Saturdays) I was able to persuade him to not clear an area of obviously
natural White Pine woods and this area is still woodland.

     These merits, as I recently learned, were described in some detail
in a 1939 Government publication (Farm Woodlots in Eastern Canada, E. S.
Richards, 1939.

     But returning to the topic of the day; access to hiking areas. I
think it is desirable to maintain pressure for access using caution and
common sense; 5 or fewer in a group 6' or more apart.

     With regard to clear cuts it would be very helpful to present the
minister with photographic evidence that they are the norm not the
exception; provided that is the case.

     If people are indeed being denied entry to Crown Land due to
Covid-19 risk then I think one can conclude that    the concept of
selective cutting has been axed. Photographic documentation by air of
clear cutting would be of great help to set the record straight.

     I did not say this but Cicero observed that "Politicians are not
born. They are excreted."

YT, DW, Kentville

YT, DW, Kentville