[NatureNS] Retraction

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:00:24 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

From: "naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" <a class="mo
--000000000000864b5e05a44b2c09

Hi Bev,
We will miss your contributions as you are a true naturalist and make very
informed posts. I think it's a mistake to think one can participate in any
public aspect of the Internet and still have true privacy. Since I took out
a gmail address to participate primarily in Nature NS and the NS Rare Bird
Alert, I have received countless spam messages addressed to "Dear
Dendroica". Kind of sad, actually, but I'm still here, with my gmail
address being "harvested" and sold, no doubt.
Regards,
Rick.

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 10:03, Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Bev Wigney
>
> On 4/26/20, Diane LeBlanc <dianeleblanc616@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Don, your action of probing eBird data to track my whereabouts, and
> perhaps
> > the whereabouts of other NSBS Executive members, is unsettling, to say
> the
> > least.  It hadn=E2=80=99t occurred to me that anyone would use eBird da=
ta to
> track
> > people and to do so violates one=E2=80=99s sense of safety, especially =
when one
> is
> > often alone in the field.  To publicly accuse me or other NSBS Executiv=
> > members of not following public health and emergency measure orders
> > threatens to harm NSBS Executive member reputations, including my own. =
> > acknowledge that you did not identify anyone by name, but the very shor=
> > list of NSHA Executive is publicly available, as is eBird data.  In
> > addition, I am aware that the information that was =E2=80=98pointed out=
=E2=80=99 to you
> was
> > related to my own eBird reports.
> >
> > As the president of the NSBS, I felt it was important for me to monitor
> this
> > listserv and get to know you all.  I have rarely contributed because I =
am
> > relatively new to this community and I wanted to make sure I learned an=
> > respected group norms.  However, I felt that it was important that I
> > communicate to you now, to set the record straight and to make a couple
> > requests.
> >
> > First, Don, I ask that you simply stop targeting me and other members o=
> the
> > NSBS Executive.  We are answerable to the authorities, not to you.
> > Second, to all, I acknowledge that it is not the content you signed up
> for
> > and I ask that you kindly tolerate this email.
> >

> > It is my sincere hope that we are able to let this thread fade away so
> that
> > we can get back to sharing stories about nature.
> >

> > Sincerely,
> > Diane LeBlanc
> >

> > From: "naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca> o=
> > behalf of Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
> > Date: Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM
> > To: NaturenNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
> > Subject: [NatureNS] Retraction
> >
> > I had made a comment that even some members of the NSBS executive
> appeared
> > to be not heeding the instructions and staying home.    It has been
> pointed
> > out to me that the people I was talking about were actually birding
> within
> > walking distance of their homes.  The executive are heeding the health
> > instructions and not driving to birding spots.  I have been rightly

rue naturalist and make very informed posts. I think it&#39;s a mistake to =
think one can participate in any public aspect of the Internet and still ha=
ve true privacy. Since I took out a gmail address to participate primarily =
in Nature NS and the NS Rare Bird Alert, I have received countless spam mes=
sages addressed=C2=A0to &quot;Dear Dendroica&quot;. Kind of sad, actually, =
but I&#39;m still here, with my gmail address being &quot;harvested&quot; a=
lass=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, 27 Apr 2=
020 at 10:03, Bev Wigney &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bkwigney@gmail.com">bkwigney=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;=
border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Thanks, Diane,<br>
I find myself so disturbed to think that there are people in this<br>
group who have used eBird or iNaturalist to track the whereabouts of<br>
other members that, after much thought this morning, I feel it is time<br>
for me to leave this group.=C2=A0 If anyone wishes to contact me about<br>
natural history matters, you have my email address.<br>
regards,<br>
Bev Wigney<br>
On 4/26/20, Diane LeBlanc &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dianeleblanc616@gmail.com" =
target=3D"_blank">dianeleblanc616@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Don, your action of probing eBird data to track my whereabouts, and pe=
rhaps<br>
&gt; the whereabouts of other NSBS Executive members, is unsettling, to say=
 the<br>
&gt; least.=C2=A0 It hadn=E2=80=99t occurred to me that anyone would use eB=
ird data to track<br>
&gt; people and to do so violates one=E2=80=99s sense of safety, especially=
 when one is<br>
&gt; often alone in the field.=C2=A0 To publicly accuse me or other NSBS Ex=
ecutive<br>
&gt; members of not following public health and emergency measure orders<br=

&gt; threatens to harm NSBS Executive member reputations, including my own.=
=C2=A0 I<br>
&gt; acknowledge that you did not identify anyone by name, but the very sho=
rt<br>
&gt;