[NatureNS] Retraction

From: Annabelle Thiebaux <hamst@xplornet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:17:51 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&amp;gt;

--Apple-Mail-54E3552B-7ABD-426C-A42A-D0A981F082C1

Ditto

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 27, 2020, at 10:32 AM, Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Hi Bev,
> the group needs concerned naturalists like you. Some go on a bit longer th=
an content justifies.
>=20
> We likely all can be tracked via cell phone after this is over and cell ph=
one data showed initially that NS was less compliant.
> [...]
>> > people and to do so violates one=E2=80=99s sense of safety, especially w=
hen one is
>> > often alone in the field.  To publicly accuse me or other NSBS Executiv=
>> > members of not following public health and emergency measure orders
>> > threatens to harm NSBS Executive member reputations, including my own. =
>> > acknowledge that you did not identify anyone by name, but the very shor=
>> > list of NSHA Executive is publicly available, as is eBird data.  In
>> > addition, I am aware that the information that was =E2=80=98pointed out=
=E2=80=99 to you was
>> > related to my own eBird reports.
>> >
>> > As the president of the NSBS, I felt it was important for me to monitor=
 this
>> > listserv and get to know you all.  I have rarely contributed because I a=
>> > relatively new to this community and I wanted to make sure I learned an=
>> > respected group norms.  However, I felt that it was important that I
>> > communicate to you now, to set the record straight and to make a couple=

>> > requests.
>> >
>> > First, Don, I ask that you simply stop targeting me and other members o=
f the
>> > NSBS Executive.  We are answerable to the authorities, not to you.
>> > Second, to all, I acknowledge that it is not the content you signed up f=
or
>> > and I ask that you kindly tolerate this email.
>> >

>> > It is my sincere hope that we are able to let this thread fade away so t=
hat
>> > we can get back to sharing stories about nature.
>> >

>> > Sincerely,
>> > Diane LeBlanc
>> >

>> > From: "naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca> o=
>> > behalf of Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
>> > Date: Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM
>> > To: NaturenNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>> > Subject: [NatureNS] Retraction
>> >
>> > I had made a comment that even some members of the NSBS executive appea=
red
>> > to be not heeding the instructions and staying home.    It has been poi=
nted
>> > out to me that the people I was talking about were actually birding wit=
hin
>> > walking distance of their homes.  The executive are heeding the health
>> > instructions and not driving to birding spots.  I have been rightly
>> > chastised and I apologize to all.
>> >
>> > Don
>> > --
>> > Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net<mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.n=
et>

>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Dr. N.M.Hill
> Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation
> 424 Bentley Road, Berwick, NS, B0P 1E0
>=20
> phone 902-698-0416

--Apple-Mail-54E3552B-7ABD-426C-A42A-D0A981F082C1

iv class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"">Hi Bev,</div><div class=3D"gmail_defau=
lt" style=3D"">the group needs concerned&nbsp;naturalists like you. Some go o=
n a bit longer than content justifies.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" sty=
e tracked via cell phone after this is over and cell phone data showed initi=
ally that NS was less compliant.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"=
v><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"">best</div><div class=3D"gmail_defa=
" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:03 AM Bev Wigney &lt;<a hr=
eft:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Thanks, Diane,<br>
I find myself so disturbed to think that there are people in this<br>
group who have used eBird or iNaturalist to track the whereabouts of<br>
other members that, after much thought this morning, I feel it is time<br>
for me to leave this group.&nbsp; If anyone wishes to contact me about<br>
natural history matters, you have my email address.<br>
regards,<br>
Bev Wigney<br>
On 4/26/20, Diane LeBlanc &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dianeleblanc616@gmail.com" t=
arget=3D"_blank">dianeleblanc616@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello all,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Don, your action of probing eBird data to track my whereabouts, and per=
haps<br>
&gt; the whereabouts of other NSBS Executive members, is unsettling, to say t=
he<br>
&gt; least.&nbsp; It hadn=E2=80=99t occurred to me that anyone would use eBi=
rd data to track<br>
&gt; people and to do so violates one=E2=80=99s sense of safety, especially w=
hen one is<br>
&gt; often alone in the field.&nbsp; To publicly accuse me or other NSBS Exe=
cutive<br>
&gt; members of not following public health and emergency measure orders<br>=

&gt; threatens to harm NSBS Executive member reputations, including my own.&=
nbsp; I<br>
&gt; acknowledge that you did not identify anyone by name, but the very shor=
t<br>
&gt; list of NSHA Executive is publicly available, as is eBird data.&nbsp; I=
n<br>
&gt; addition, I am aware that the information that was =E2=80=98pointed out=
=E2=80=99 to you was<br>
&gt; related to my own eBird reports.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; As the president of the NSBS, I felt it was important for me to monitor=
 this<br>
&gt; listserv and get to know you all.&nbsp; I have rarely contributed becau=
se I am<br>
&gt; relatively new to this community and I wanted to make sure I learned an=
d<br>
&gt; respected group norms.&nbsp; However, I felt that it was important that=
 I<br>
&gt; communicate to you now, to set the record straight and to make a couple=
&gt; requests.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; First, Don, I ask that you simply stop targeting me and other members o=
f the<br>
&gt; NSBS Executive.&nbsp; We are answerable to the authorities, not to you.=
&gt; Second, to all, I acknowledge that it is not the content you signed up f=
or<br>
&gt; and I ask that you kindly tolerate this email.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; It is my sincere hope that we are able to let this thread fade away so t=
hat<br>
&gt; we can get back to sharing stories about nature.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Sincerely,<br>
&gt; Diane LeBlanc<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; From: "<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blan=
k">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@c=
hebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt; on<br=

&gt; behalf of Don MacNeill &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net=
" target=3D"_blank">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Reply-To: "<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank"=
>naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca"=
 target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Date: Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM<br>
&gt; To: NaturenNS &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"=
_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Subject: [NatureNS] Retraction<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I had made a comment that even some members of the NSBS executive appea=
red<br>
&gt; to be not heeding the instructions and staying home.&nbsp; &nbsp; It ha=
s been pointed<br>
&gt; out to me that the people I was talking about were actually birding wit=
hin<br>
&gt; walking distance of their homes.&nbsp; The executive are heeding the he=
alth<br>
&gt; instructions and not driving to birding spots.&nbsp; I have been rightl=
y<br>
&gt; chastised and I apologize to all.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Don<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; Don MacNeill <a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_b=
lank">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:donmacneill=
@bellaliant.net" target=3D"_blank">donmacneill@bellaliant.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
lass=3D"gmail_signature">Dr. N.M.Hill<br>Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conser=
div>

--Apple-Mail-54E3552B-7ABD-426C-A42A-D0A981F082C1--