[NatureNS] re: nest surprise

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 19:06:09 -0300

What a delight for Bernard to find a wood duck surprise. I really think
that many cavity nesters have been displaced this year with trees lost
that they normally would have used for nesting.

I am not sure if anyone saw my earlier notes on our wood duck nesting
antics in Tupperville.  (Bernard will want to know this, since we have
'competing nest boxes' ever since the incident with the saw-whet nest of
young owlets a number of years back- where he made the front page of the
Herald after coming to band them.)  We are having parallel experiences
to his!

We had been enjoying seeing the wood duck pair fly to the pond each
morning.  They stayed only perhaps 30-50 minutes and generally left by
7:45 hr, just as soon as she flew back out of the nest box and returned
to the water.  We checked out the box contents on about April 17th.
There were 3 eggs then.  After that we continued watching the pair land
fairly consistently each morning.  Last Friday, I convinced my husband
to put on his waders and check the nest box once more, thinking we
should get an updated egg count.  On April 24th, he climbed up to the
box and at the moment he looked in the side door, the female wood duck
burst out of the front entrance.  What a thrill!   Larry was shocked and
forgot to count the eggs.  We didn't want to linger to disturb things
more than we had.

I guess now we get to compare who's wood duck will hatch first.

Duck saga indeed!  Thanks Judy!

What is also interesting is the difference in habitats.  We have an old
open field where we put in a pond.  There are few trees around, being
mostly farm land.  Bernard's backyard is a small wooded glen, or that's
how I'd describe it.  I guess you can't be too choosy when you are a
cavity nester that doesn't manufacture your own residence.

Donna