[NatureNS] re: nest surprise

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: <nature@blomidonnaturalists.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:58:59 -0300

Hi folks:

I am back again, with an update about the ongoing 'duck saga' taking place
in Bernard Forsythe's back yard on Wolfville Ridge.  The mystery deepened.
He had not seen any duck go in or out of the nest box so he  decided to
check out the nest box this morning while the rain gently fell.

Now the last time he had checked, there were 10 (ten) eggs in this feathery
nest, this time as he got his ladder out and climbed up to take another
look, guess who flew out... A female Wood Duck....!

I don't know who was more surprised. This time there were 15 (fifteen) eggs.
He was rather surprised to see the WODU, as he had tentatively thought they
resembled Hooded Merganser's eggs - global and white, semi-hidden in piles
of feathers.

He said what misled him was the fact they are VERY white, not the beige-y
colour he associates with HOMEs,  unusual to say the least.   BUT, he has
another bonus in the fact this is a 'lifer' for his back yard!

I'm  thrilled for Bernard at this outcome. My initial thought had been Wood
Duck for a box nester, so I am pleased this pretty species has moved in,
delighted that now Bernard has some excitement to look forward to.  It is a
wonderful first for Bernard having a duck species nesting in his owl box.
Who'd have thought it even possible in this area. Maybe the offspring will
find it easier to relocate with the mother in reaching a pond up the street.
Will keep you updated as this story unfolds.

'Our' Barred Owls continue to be vocal day and night around our property and
the NS Nature Trust

property next to us, and although one owl flew through our backyard last
week, we still do not know if the pair are nesting.. Barred Owls have such a
diverse list of 'calls' and I love to hear them in the night, to feel that
thrill of nature on one's doorstep.

Take care everyone. Stay safe.

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts