[NatureNS] Re: pending regulations on feeding wildlife

From: Sandy Hiltz <birddogns@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:29:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;     &lt;mailto:nat
--000000000000ebcccd05a4615d86

=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=
=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020, 5:05 PM David Webster, <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> [...]
> hollow window dressing by cheerful liars to make their record look good.
>
>     HRM apparently includes a true urban area where many would not
> recognize a backhoe if they saw one and a rural area where half of the
> residents own one. What a great idea.
>
>     There was a great flap a year or two ago when someone applied for and
> got a building permit,  bought land in rural HRM on which to build the
> house but then were stalled because the driveway to the house was too lon=
g.
> So far as I recall that "problem" was never resolved.
>
>     This brings to mind a farmer whose house was a long ways from the
> public highway; no kidding. So his driveway was very long. A visitor  onc=
> commented "Your driveway is awfully long" and he replied-- "If it was any
> shorter it wouldn't reach".
>
>     Put people in a closed room with an internal combustion engine runnin=
> and they will soon be all dead. Put as many people in the same room to
> smoke all day and they will all emerge alive. But when one person smokes =
on
> a sidewalk, while traffic sails past non-stop, the smoker is singled out =
as
> endangering others. Get real folks.
>
>     So relax, Big Brother will take care of you. And given an opportunity=
;
> everybody.
>
> Enough rant for one time. Must get supper ready.
>
> Yt, DW, Kentville
>

> On 4/28/2020 12:38 PM, Parker Donham wrote:
>
> Halifax Council has an inordinate fondness for micromanaging the lives of
> its constituents. This often involves imposing a set of prissy, middle
> class values, such as when Ottawa legalized consumption and limited growi=
ng
> of marijuana (long overdue), and busybodies on council immediately
> recriminalized it, together with a sweeping ban on smoking
> anythinganywhere, and a harebrained scheme for smoking stations enforced =
by
> a squad of newly-hired enforcement officers. I don't think the enforcemen=
> officers ever got hired, but the ban was imposed.
>
> So now the city wants to ban bird feeders, with the band to be
> discretionary, based on "nuisance" complaints. City staff have dutifully
> ginned up a collection of rationalizations for the ban, but once again,
> we're going to allow life in our city to be governed by the most easily
> offended.
>
> The idea someone could be offended by a bird feeder is farcical, but it's
> so typical of Halifax that we will now enshrine the prerogatives of horri=
> neighbors to enforce their will on the properties of others.
>
> On Tue., Apr. 28, 2020, 9:26 a.m. Joanne Cook, <jocook.ns@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For those who can=E2=80=99t read the e-edition on their phone, here=E2=
=80=99s the text of
>> the article. I=E2=80=99ve clipped out the bit about licensing puppies.

xempt-young-pups-from-licensing-442789/
>> HRM bylaw amendment would exempt young pups from licensing
>> Francis Campbell
>> <https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/author/francis-campbell-8011>
>> (fcampbell@herald.ca) <fcampbell@herald.ca>
>> *Published: *14 hours ago
>> *Updated: *14 hours ago
>> Puppies under six months of age will be exempt from licensing, and
>> feeding birds and wildlife to the extent that it becomes a nuisance to
>> another property owner will be prohibited in proposed bylaw amendments
>> going before Halifax regional council Tuesday.
>> The standing bylaw prohibits the feeding of waterfowl on lands abutting
>> or adjacent to a lake or birds including waterfowl and pigeons on the la=
nds
>> abutting or adjacent to certain bodies of water.
>>
>> It does not prohibit feeding of any other wildlife. The amendment
>> prohibits any person from feeding or allowing the feeding of birds or an=
>> wildlife that creates a nuisance to an owner or occupant of any property=
.

>> Fines for violating the feeding portion of the bylaw will range from $20=
0
>> to $5,000.
>>
>> The staff report says the intent of the amendment is to address
>> situations that are causing a negative impact to neighbours and
>> neighbourhoods. The intent is not to impose an outright ban on the feedi=
ng
>> of birds but to intervene when it becomes a nuisance.
>>
>> Bird feeders will be allowed to feed birds on property with owner
>> permission, but the nuisance it may create by attracting wildlife will b=
>> addressed through the bylaw enforcement process.
>>
>> Similarly, prohibiting the feeding of wildlife is recommended to address
>> issues that may cause a nuisance to an owner or occupant of any property=
.

>> The staff report concedes that feeding wildlife is common for people to
>> enjoy the surroundings of their neighbourhood and their property by
>> engaging and entertaining wildlife and purposefully attracting them by
>> providing food.
>>
>> However, this enjoyment can be detrimental to wildlife and can lead to a
>> nuisance issue. Feeding wildlife can result in many negative impacts, su=
ch
>> as attracting vermin that can cause property damage like racoons and rat=
s,
>> attracting wildlife to the point of excessive defecation that causes
>> property damage, attracting wildlife such as deer that impacts traffic a=
nd
>> negatively impacting the health and safety of the animals being fed, the
>> staff report concludes.
>> -30-
>> ------------------------------

FMIsX3o5lKC3elTnVrMRBF5q71chxYYTNMrPrBxXU4kkXwUNKtn1nAc3xuX8VquaSFw
>> SaltWire E-Edition
>> <https://saltwire.pressreader.com/@Reader14326431/csb_r4JN0nHMvrZbK4-eMt=
pFMIsX3o5lKC3elTnVrMRBF5q71chxYYTNMrPrBxXU4kkXwUNKtn1nAc3xuX8VquaSFw>
>> SaltWire E-Edition
>> saltwire.pressreader.com
>>

>> ------------------------------

=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82=F0=9F=98=82</div><br><div class=3D"=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Apr 28, 2020, 5:=
05 PM David Webster, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebster@gli=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
 some silly factor in
      Halifax water. <br>
hreat and
      called for immediate action but a few months later they ordered a
      fleet of new large diesel Transit Buses with a running life of 40
      years when clearly they should be small and electric. <br>
only real
      problem we face so sent a long letter to Council and Mayor, right
      after they announced their concern, describing actions which they
      might wish to consider; no acknowledgement, no response. So their
      position on climate change was hollow window dressing by cheerful
      liars to make their record look good.<br>
any would
      not recognize a backhoe if they saw one and a rural area where
      half of the residents own one. What a great idea. <br>
eone applied
      for and got a building permit,=C2=A0 bought land in rural HRM on whic=
      to build the house but then were stalled because the driveway to
      the house was too long. So far as I recall that &quot;problem&quot; w=
as
      never resolved.<br>
ng ways from
      the public highway; no kidding. So his driveway was very long. A
      visitor=C2=A0 once commented &quot;Your driveway is awfully long&quot=
; and he
      replied-- &quot;If it was any shorter it wouldn&#39;t reach&quot;. <b=
r>
ustion
      engine running and they will soon be all dead. Put as many people
      in the same room to smoke all day and they will all emerge alive.
      But when one person smokes on a sidewalk, while traffic sails past
      non-stop, the smoker is singled out as endangering others. Get
      real folks.</p>
given an
      opportunity; everybody.</p>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        micromanaging the lives of its constituents. This often involves
        imposing a set of prissy, middle class values, such as when
        Ottawa legalized consumption and limited growing of marijuana
        (long overdue), and busybodies on council immediately
        recriminalized it, together with a sweeping ban on smoking
        anythinganywhere, and a harebrained scheme for smoking stations
        enforced by a squad of newly-hired enforcement officers. I don&#39;=
        think the enforcement officers ever got hired, but the ban was
        imposed.
          the band to be discretionary, based on &quot;nuisance&quot; compl=
aints.
          City staff have dutifully ginned up a collection of
          rationalizations for the ban, but once again, we&#39;re going to
          allow life in our city to be governed by the most easily
          offended.=C2=A0</div>
          feeder is farcical, but it&#39;s so typical of Halifax that we
          will now enshrine the prerogatives of horrid neighbors to
          enforce their will on the properties of others.</div>
          a.m. Joanne Cook, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jocook.ns@gmail.com" targ=
et=3D"_blank" rel=3D"noreferrer">jocook.ns@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
gb(255,255,255)">
read
                    the e-edition on their phone, here=E2=80=99s the text o=
f the
                    article. I=E2=80=99ve clipped out the bit about licensi=
ng
                    puppies.</div>
://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/hrm-bylaw-amendment-would-exempt-yo=
ung-pups-from-licensing-442789/" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_b=
lank">https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/hrm-bylaw-amendment-woul=
d-exempt-young-pups-from-licensing-442789/</a><br>
                    <h1 style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;font-size:1.75rem;ma=
rgin:1rem 0px 11px;font-family:Glypha,Arial,sans-serif;font-weight:500;line=
-height:1.1;color:rgb(51,51,51)">HRM
                      bylaw amendment would exempt young pups from
                      licensing</h1>
dding-left:10px;padding-right:10px">
19,119);font-size:14px;margin-bottom:0.625rem">
=3D"box-sizing:border-box"><a href=3D"https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/aut=
hor/francis-campbell-8011" style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;color:rgb(51,51,5=
1)" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">Francis
 style=3D"box-sizing:border-box"><a href=3D"mailto:fcampbell@herald.ca" sty=
le=3D"box-sizing:border-box" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
g:border-box">
                            p.m." style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;margin-rig=
ht:5px"><strong style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;font-weight:700">Published:<=
span>=C2=A0</span></strong>14
                            hours ago</span>
style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;margin-right:5px">
                            <strong style=3D"box-sizing:border-box;font-wei=
                            hours ago</div>
                    age will be exempt from licensing, and feeding birds
                    and wildlife to the extent that it becomes a
                    nuisance to another property owner will be
                    prohibited in proposed bylaw amendments going before
                    Halifax regional council Tuesday.</div>
                    prohibits the feeding of waterfowl on lands abutting
                    or adjacent to a lake or birds including waterfowl
                    and pigeons on the lands abutting or adjacent to
                    certain bodies of water.</div>
                    feeding of any other wildlife. The amendment
                    prohibits any person from feeding or allowing the
                    feeding of birds or any wildlife that creates a
                    nuisance to an owner or occupant of any property.</div>
                    feeding portion of the bylaw will range from $200 to
                    $5,000.</div>
                    intent of the amendment is to address situations
                    that are causing a negative impact to neighbours and
                    neighbourhoods. The intent is not to impose an
                    outright ban on the feeding of birds but to
                    intervene when it becomes a nuisance. </div>
                    allowed to feed birds on property with owner
                    permission, but the nuisance it may create by
                    attracting wildlife will be addressed through the
                    bylaw enforcement process.</div>
                    feeding of wildlife is recommended to address issues
                    that may cause a nuisance to an owner or occupant of
                    any property. =C2=A0</div>
                    that feeding wildlife is common for people to enjoy
                    the surroundings of their neighbourhood and their
                    property by engaging and entertaining wildlife and
                    purposefully attracting them by providing food.</div>
                    be detrimental to wildlife and can lead to a
                    nuisance issue. Feeding wildlife can result in many
                    negative impacts, such as attracting vermin that can
                    cause property damage like racoons and rats,
                    attracting wildlife to the point of excessive
                    defecation that causes property damage, attracting
                    wildlife such as deer that impacts traffic and
                    negatively impacting the health and safety of the
                    animals being fed, the staff report concludes.</div>
              <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
wdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, sans-ser=
if" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebuct=
o.ns.ca" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens-owner@che=
bucto.ns.ca</a>
                  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" rel=
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca<=
/a>&gt;
                  on behalf of Andrew Stadnyk
" rel=3D"noreferrer">&lt;Andrew.Stadnyk@Dal.Ca&gt;</a><br>
                  <b>To:</b> <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" rel=
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>
                  &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" rel=3D"nor=
eferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
                  <b>Subject:</b> Re: [NatureNS] Re: pending regulations
                  on feeding wildlife</font>
f;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">Didn&#39;t
                  know I could do this, here is a link:</div>
f;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><br>
f;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><a href=3D"https://saltwire.pressreader.=
com/@Reader14326431/csb_r4JN0nHMvrZbK4-eMtpFMIsX3o5lKC3elTnVrMRBF5q71chxYYT=
NMrPrBxXU4kkXwUNKtn1nAc3xuX8VquaSFw" id=3D"m_4287268883419632185m_872845861=
3048869325LPlnk208329" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http=
s://saltwire.pressreader.com/@Reader14326431/csb_r4JN0nHMvrZbK4-eMtpFMIsX3o=
5lKC3elTnVrMRBF5q71chxYYTNMrPrBxXU4kkXwUNKtn1nAc3xuX8VquaSFw</a><br>
er_GTaHR0cHM6Ly9zYWx0d2lyZS5wcmVzc3JlYWRlci5jb20vQFJlYWRlcjE0MzI2NDMxL2NzYl=
9yNEpOMG5ITXZyWmJLNC1lTXRwRk1Jc1gzbzVsS0MzZWxUblZyTVJCRjVxNzFjaHhZWVROTXJQc=
kJ4WFU0a2tYd1VOS3RuMW5BYzN4dVg4VnF1YVNGdw.." style=3D"width:100%;margin-top=
:16px;margin-bottom:16px;max-width:800px;min-width:424px">
Container553957" style=3D"padding:12px 36px 12px 12px;width:100%;border-wid=
th:1px;border-style:solid;border-color:rgb(200,200,200);border-radius:2px">
                    <tbody>
9325LPTitle553957">
                            <a id=3D"m_4287268883419632185m_872845861304886=
9325LPUrlAnchor553957" href=3D"https://saltwire.pressreader.com/@Reader1432=
6431/csb_r4JN0nHMvrZbK4-eMtpFMIsX3o5lKC3elTnVrMRBF5q71chxYYTNMrPrBxXU4kkXwU=
NKtn1nAc3xuX8VquaSFw" style=3D"text-decoration:none" rel=3D"noreferrer nore=
ferrer" target=3D"_blank">SaltWire E-Edition</a></div>
9325LPDescription553957">SaltWire
                            E-Edition</div>
9325LPMetadata553957">
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">saltwire.pressreader.com</a></=
div>
                    </tbody>
rif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><br>
                  <hr style=3D"display:inline-block;width:98%">
vRplyFwdMsg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, sa=
ns-serif" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b>
=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca<=
/a>
                      &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" =
rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.=
ca</a>&gt;
                      on behalf of Richard Stern &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ster=
nrichard@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">sternri=
chard@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
                      <b>To:</b> NatureNS &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@ch=
ebucto.ns.ca" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">naturens@cheb=
ucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
                      <b>Subject:</b> Re: [NatureNS] Re: pending
                      regulations on feeding wildlife</font>
ellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0" align=3D"center">
                      <tbody>
olor:#707372;width:100%;border-radius:5px;overflow:hidden" cellspacing=3D"0=
" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0" align=3D"center">
                              <tbody>
;padding:4px 8px;text-align:left;vertical-align:top">
"0" border=3D"0">
                                      <tbody>
,sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:16px;text-align:left;color:#ffffff">=
of
                                              this email is not from
                                              within Dalhousie.</div>
                                      </tbody>
                              </tbody>
                      </tbody>
the
                          article in the full on line=C2=A0copy, and I don&=
#39;t
                          want to go out and buy one - do you have a
                          link to the article?</div>
                          Andrew Stadnyk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Andrew.Stadn=
yk@dal.ca" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">Andrew.Stadnyk@d=
al.ca</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
r-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)=
;padding-left:1ex">
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">There
                              is an article in today&#39;s (Tuesday) Herald
                              with talk of guidelines on feeding wild
                              animals including birds, that I thought
                              will be of interest to backyard birders.=C2=
=A0</div>
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><br>
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">Nothing
                              about stray cats, something city
                              councilors dread having to address. Yet I
                              have video of 3 different cats in my yard
                              (so imagine the scale across the
                              neighborhood) and there are no rules that
                              I am familiar with, to help deal with
                              them.=C2=A0</div>
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)"><br>
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">Andy
                              Stadnyk</div>
ca,sans-serif;font-size:12pt;color:rgb(0,0,0)">Lower
                              Sackville</div>
                      -- <br>
                            Richard Stern, <br>
                            Port Williams, NS, Canada<br>