[NatureNS] article about viruses and clear cutting

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 17:12:05 -0300

div&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;div class
--------------25A0B46E16986564341E189A

Hi Dave P. & All,

     I think we should continue to push for selective cutting of
woodland as the norm and clear cutting as the rare exception. The
minister says this has happened but ground truth verification is indicated.

     Selective cutting makes it possible to have continuous forest cover
over time, thus decreasing erosion, loss of diversity, runoff and bald
patches while increasing productivity over time. It is a no brainer and
can be done using mechanical harvesters.

     From your post I gather that this would also decrease Lyme Disease
hazard. I hope some agency is working on a injection to ward off Lyme
Disease.

Yt, Dave W., Kentville

On 5/2/2020 4:15 PM, David Patriquin wrote:
> Forest fragmentation appears to be a factor in rising Lyme disease
>
> *Forest ecology shapes Lyme disease risk in the eastern US*
> <https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180709132727.htm>
> Science Daily, July 9, 2018 “In the eastern US, risk of contracting
> Lyme disease is higher in fragmented forests with high rodent
> densities and low numbers of resident fox, opossum, and raccoons.
> These are among the findings from an analysis of 19 years of data on
> the ecology of tick-borne disease in a forested landscape.” The
> scientific paper cited: Richard S. Ostfeld et al. 2018 Tick-borne
> disease risk in a forest food web
> <https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ecy.2386>.
> /Ecology/ 99(7), 2018, pp. 1562–1573.
>
> *Deer, predators, and the emergence of Lyme disease*
> <https://www.pnas.org/content/109/27/10942.short>
> Taal Levi et al., 2012 In PNAS 109 (27) 10942-10947 “The continuing
> and rapid increase in Lyme disease over the past two decades, long
> after the recolonization of deer, suggests that other factors,
> including changes in the ecology of small-mammal hosts may be
> responsible for the continuing emergence of Lyme disease… These
> results suggest that changes in predator communities may have
> cascading impacts that facilitate the emergence of zoonotic diseases,
> the vast majority of which rely on hosts that occupy low trophic levels.”
>

> On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 3:02 PM N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com
> <mailto:nrobbyn@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     Perhaps more germane to this forum is this article in /Scientific
>     American/:
>
>     https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stopping-deforestation-can-prevent-pandemics/
>
>     Can we apply this to N.S. as well?
>
>     Nancy
>
>     On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 11:12 AM Liz <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca
>     <mailto:edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>> wrote:
>
>         Yes, please, and let's enjoy going out for a change!
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Liz
>
>         From: <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
>         <mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>> on behalf of David
>         Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@gmail.com
>         <mailto:davidgpatriquin@gmail.com>>
>         Date: Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:09 AM
>         To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca <mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>>
>         Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Covid lock down
>
>         Respectfully, it would be really nice if we now closed the
>         discussion on Covid19 on this forum. It has already had a few,
>         in my view, unfortunate,  casualties, and there are plenty of
>         outlets elsewhere. And the parks are now open, so let's enjoy
>         them (with all of the appropriate precautions).
>
>         On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM David Webster
>         <dwebster@glinx.com <mailto:dwebster@glinx.com>> wrote:
>
>             Dear All,
>
>                  This item on Facebook is I think relevant to our
> [...]

  <head>
  </head>
      woodland as the norm and clear cutting as the rare exception. The
      minister says this has happened but ground truth verification is
      indicated.<br>
      cover over time, thus decreasing erosion, loss of diversity,
      runoff and bald patches while increasing productivity over time.
      It is a no brainer and can be done using mechanical harvesters. <br>
      Disease hazard. I hope some agency is working on a injection to
      ward off Lyme Disease. <br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAL3E_qLKL8ChCDwO+mZo__YoHghesBLHpcozZzEFbOx+k_eVpA@mail.gmail.com">
        rising Lyme disease
style="background-image:initial;background-position:initial;background-size:initial;background-repeat:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;border:0px;margin:0px
            0px
24px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia,&quot;Bitstream
            Charter&quot;,serif;font-size:16px"><a
              href="https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/07/180709132727.htm"
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(153,153,0);text-decoration-line:none"
              moz-do-not-send="true"><strong
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline">Forest
            Science Daily, July 9, 2018 “In the eastern US, risk of
            contracting Lyme disease is higher in fragmented forests
            with high rodent densities and low numbers of resident fox,
            opossum, and raccoons. These are among the findings from an
            analysis of 19 years of data on the ecology of tick-borne
            disease in a forested landscape.” The scientific paper
            cited: Richard S. Ostfeld et al. 2018 <a
href="https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/ecy.2386"
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(153,153,0);text-decoration-line:none"
              moz-do-not-send="true">Tick-borne disease risk in a forest
              food web</a>. <em
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline">Ecology</em> 99(7),
            2018, pp. 1562–1573.</p>
              href="https://www.pnas.org/content/109/27/10942.short"
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(153,153,0);text-decoration-line:none"
              moz-do-not-send="true"><strong
style="background:transparent;border:0px;margin:0px;padding:0px;vertical-align:baseline">Deer,
            Taal Levi et al., 2012 In PNAS 109 (27) 10942-10947 “The
            continuing and rapid increase in Lyme disease over the past
            two decades, long after the recolonization of deer, suggests
            that other factors, including changes in the ecology of
            small-mammal hosts may be responsible for the continuing
            emergence of Lyme disease… These results suggest that
            changes in predator communities may have cascading impacts
            that facilitate the emergence of zoonotic diseases, the vast
            majority of which rely on hosts that occupy low trophic
            levels.”</p>
          N Robinson &lt;<a href="mailto:nrobbyn@gmail.com"
            moz-do-not-send="true">nrobbyn@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                American</i>:</div>
href="https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stopping-deforestation-can-prevent-pandemics/"
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stopping-deforestation-can-prevent-pandemics/</a></div>
                11:12 AM Liz &lt;<a href="mailto:edoull@ns.sympatico.ca"
                  target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">edoull@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
                0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                  style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif">
                    change!  </div>
id="gmail-m_-4324397957448864644gmail-m_7797446202282086704OLK_SRC_BODY_SECTION">
style="font-family:Calibri;font-size:11pt;text-align:left;color:black;border-color:rgb(181,196,223)
                      currentcolor currentcolor;border-style:solid none
                      none;border-width:1pt medium medium;padding:3pt
                      0in 0in"><span style="font-weight:bold">From: </span>
                      &lt;<a href="mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;
                      on behalf of David Patriquin &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:davidgpatriquin@gmail.com"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">davidgpatriquin@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
                      &lt;<a href="mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
                      Saturday, May 2, 2020 at 10:09 AM<br>
                        href="mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>
                      Re: [NatureNS] Covid lock down<br>
                      if we now closed the discussion on Covid19 on this
                      forum. It has already had a few, in my view,
                      unfortunate,  casualties, and there are plenty of
                      outlets elsewhere. And the parks are now open, so
                      let's enjoy them (with all of the appropriate
                      precautions).</div>
                        2020 at 9:34 AM David Webster &lt;<a
                          href="mailto:dwebster@glinx.com"
                          target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;
                        wrote:<br>
                        0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                        rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dear All,<br>
                             This item on Facebook is I think relevant
                        to our current conditions <br>
                        re access to nature.<br>
                        <a
href="https://www.bitchute.com/video/WLp53rpJ2B7i/?fbclid=IwAR1yRlC5SAPFgLvblstoMSbi6km9cxFBN43ZIuyExf10UVs9gUk2A5yDMgA"