[NatureNS] Question: Lungwort (Pulmonaria officinalis)

From: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 11:56:47 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello Botanists,

I have a question regarding the introduced Pulmonaria officinialis (Lungwort).

Until this spring, I had always taken it for granted that Lungwort's
leaves have spots.
Having more time to spend around the house, I paid more attention, and
noticed that the 'familiar' patch of Pulmonaria does indeed sport
spots.
However, there are other places where a spotless Pulmonaria is
growing. These plants appear and flower roughly a week earlier.

Checking on-line, there is a European species, Pulmonaria obscura
(sometimes conspecific with P. officinalis) that has no spots on its
leaves.
Thus, it is possible that there were always two species around the house.
It could also be that the spotted variety does not reproduce true to
spot by seed.

My question is: Has anybody seen or is familiar with/knowledgeable
about the spot-less species/variety?

Curious,
Burkhard