[NatureNS] Question: Lungwort (Pulmonaria officinalis)

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 13:21:22 -0400

On 5/4/2020 12:34 PM, David Webster wrote:

>  so far as I am aware neither the spotted or spotless forms have escaped from cultivation in  North America.

* first two google hits on 'pulmonaria invasive:' "it has now become so
invasive that it is crowding out other plants" and "Pulmonarias are
never invasive or aggressive."

I've got two spotted ones, both near homesites:

13 March 2016 - Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Augusta: 544 m W
centre of Maitland. (25m waypoint), 31B/12, 44.63635N 75.61924W TIME:
1712. AIR TEMP: 9°C, sunny, hazy, calm. HABITAT: young Ash woods near
homesite. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler, Aleta Karstad Schueler.
2016/031/a, Pulmonaria officinalis (Plant). 1 stand herb, specimen.
WAYPT/112, green flat ground cover of mottled leaves, ca 5 m patch -
other green species present - initially taken for Vinca minor
(Periwinkle) as we drove by coming in.

17 June 2018 - New Brunswick: York County: McAllister Cove. (20m
waypoint), 21G/12, 45.65363N 67.67362W TIME: 1333. AIR TEMP: 19°C,
overcast, Beaufort gentle breeze. HABITAT: edge of lakeside cottage
clearing in big-tree Tsuga woods. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler, Jake
Lewis, Don McAlpine. 2018/131/a, Pulmonaria officinalis (Plant). 1 stand
herb, seen. WAYPT/142, 3 m patch on slope towards lake.

> When plants become a nursery commodity then variants tend to be saved unless they are ugly.

* gosh, I thought horticulturalists especially went for ugly. My
understanding is that beauty is a product of natural selection, and
ugliness of artificial selection.

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad