[NatureNS] Nitrogen fixers, invasives and agriculture

From: David Simpson <david.sonsimp@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 12:08:23 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000001e112005a5104130

The Background:

*Nitrogen is a critical limiting element for plant growth and production.
It is a major component of chlorophyll, the most important pigment needed
for photosynthesis, as well as amino acids, the key building blocks of
proteins. It is also found in other important biomolecules, such as ATP and
nucleic acids. Even though it is one of the most abundant elements
(predominately in the form of nitrogen gas (N2) in the Earth=E2=80=99s atmo=
sphere),
plants can only utilize reduced forms of this element. Plants acquire these
forms of =E2=80=9Ccombined=E2=80=9D nitrogen by: 1) the addition of ammonia=
 and/or nitrate
fertilizer (from the Haber-Bosch process) or manure to soil, 2) the release
of these compounds during organic matter decomposition, 3) the conversion
of atmospheric nitrogen into the compounds by natural processes, such as
lightning, and 4) biological nitrogen fixation (Vance 2001). <*
https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/biological-nitrogen-fixat=
ion-23570419/

Cover-cropping with legumes to fix nitrogen is an old trick in agriculture.
Beyond peas etc, there are perennial shrubs that also harbour N-fixing
bacteria. Some of these shrubs also provide an excellent source of
nutrition for humans. The ag/gardening method known as permaculture
advocates the planting of these nitrogen fixers as a way to promote soil
health via nitrogen fixation, while also providing a yield for humans. (The
same can be said with black/honey locust, which provide a direct yield of
timber rather than food). Planted into a disturbed area, soil fertility can
be improved. Co-planted with over-story orchard trees, these shrubs are
toted to improve soil, improve orchard yield, offer a secondary crop, and
add biodiversity. Et cetera.

Autumn olive (Eleagnus umbellata) is one of these shrubs. A Google search
will reveal this plant is simultaneously revered and detested, depending on
the camp of the author. The camp of those that revere it do so for the
ag-related reasons given above. The other camp maintains it does more harm
than good due to its invasiveness. Autumn olive is productive (there is a
field nearby we harvest from and I put frozen berries on evening cereal
snack, they are quite delicious and easy pickin'), and it is also an
invasive in some areas. It is prohibited in Alberta, for example, but not
in Nova Scotia <https://novascotia.ca/just/regulations/regs/WControl.htm>

The idea of "invasive" seems to be coming under increased scrutiny, at
least in some forums I frequent. At the same time, the problems accredited
to introduced species have never been more pronounced. At uni, in the
environmental science program, we poopooed on introduced species as a
mantra. Now, as an owner-operator of a new small nursery focused on edible,
native and useful perennials, I am forced to reconsider these problematic
definitions. When deciding what to propagate, we ask such questions as 1)
can a native species do this job? 2) is there a harm in planting this
species? 3) do the benefits of this species outweigh the harms? It is a
challenging standard to maintain.

How do you define native? Native to your backyard? Your county? Province,
bioregion, continent? How do you determine invasiveness? Can a plant be
invasive *and* native? If it is already present in your landscape (as with
autumn olive and black locust here), is there any harm in propagating it?
How do we balance harm and yield?

Some permaculturalists completely shun the idea of invasives, and plant
without consideration. This of course is ridiculous; but equally ridiculous
is the shunning of non-native species. We can all agree that humans cannot
be sustained on native species alone, and so concessions must be made.
Planting anything non-native (however you define it) will occupy a space
where a native plant could live, which is not ecologically optimal (that
is, until you bring the harm done by outsourcing foodstuffs).

This morning's example: Wolf willow (Eleagnus commutata - not a willow) is,
like autumn olive, a nitrogen fixer. It is not as widely vilified, but it
may have the same potential to fill out a space and expand, given
its growth habit. However, unlike autumn olive, this plant is native to
North America - the Prairies west to Alaska, with an apparently isolated
population in Quebec. But it is *not native *to Windsor, nor Nova Scotia,
nor even the Maritimes. So, to sell or not to sell?

Ultimately, since these plants are not controlled in this jurisdiction, I
know the decision whether to propagate lies with me and my partner. But I
respect this community and want to be on the right side of science whenever
possible and to do right by the natural world, and admit that I don't know
everything there is to know about this stuff. There are certainly people in
this forum that know more than me about invasives, botany, agriculture, and
importantly, their intersection. This email is almost just me venting my
frustration about having to make these decisions, which I do not take
lightly. All opinions will be considered and I thank you muchly in advance
if you take the time to write. If you wish to reach out privately, feel
free to do so.

Sincerely,

*Dave in Curry's Corner*

David Simpson
(902) 580 8007
david.sonsimp@gmail.com

[...]

s lightning, and 4) <b>biological nitrogen fixation </b>(Vance 2001). &lt;<=
/i><a href=3D"https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/biological-=
nitrogen-fixation-23570419/">https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/libr=