[NatureNS] barn swallow questions

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Andy Moir <slickdog1@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 11:18:46 -0300

--------------5E46D811445E99AA4C1711EC

I cut a hole between two of the studs over the main door.  The hole is
14.5 inches by 6 inches.  They figured it out in no time at all, and
swoop through it at breakneck speed.  It will be easy to cover up in the
winter.  There were two nests in the workshop from previous years.  Hope
they both get used again this year.
Andy

On 5/10/2020 8:23 PM, George Forsyth wrote:
> When I was a kid in Greenwich, Kings Co. there were barn swallows
> nesting in all of the neighbours' barns and sheds. Our next door
> neighbour would leave her overhead sliding garage door lifted only a
> few inches and the swallows would swoop low over the driveway and
> enter the four to five inch opening at the bottom of the door. I was
> always amazed at their ability, knowing that there was a car parked
> just inside the door!
>
> George Forsyth
>
> On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 08:43, Andy Moir <slickdog1@gmail.com
> <mailto:slickdog1@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a couple of pairs of barn swallows nesting in my workshop. I'm
>     happy to share the space with them.  Just means covering some work
>     areas
>     with plastic while they're nesting.
>     A couple of questions:  Right now I'm leaving the workshop door
>     open for
>     them to come and go.  I'd prefer not to do that, especially during
>     heavy
>     rains and windy days.  (Also, I'd like to keep the door shut to keep
>     cats away from the barn swallows).  What size hole would I have to
>     cut
>     in the wall above the door so they can easily fly in and out when the
>     door is shut?
>     Secondly, do they feed during really windy conditions, such as
>     what is
>     predicted to be coming over the next 24 hours?   Or will they just
>     stay
>     inside and ride it out?
>     Thanks for any help.
>     Andy
>

>     --

--------------5E46D811445E99AA4C1711EC

  <head>
  </head>
    I cut a hole between two of the studs over the main door.  The hole
    is 14.5 inches by 6 inches.  They figured it out in no time at all,
    and swoop through it at breakneck speed.  It will be easy to cover
    up in the winter.  There were two nests in the workshop from
    previous years.  Hope they both get used again this year.<br>
    Andy<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAMS=wB5OxdoZ+0ky3PiC2_Pz-BMa7-mEOE6zEy6Ua9uVJH-cAw@mail.gmail.com">
          swallows nesting in all of the neighbours' barns and sheds.
          Our next door neighbour would leave her overhead sliding
          garage door lifted only a few inches and the swallows would
          swoop low over the driveway and enter the four to five inch
          opening at the bottom of the door. I was always amazed at
          their ability, knowing that there was a car parked just inside
          the door!</div>
          Andy Moir &lt;<a href="mailto:slickdog1@gmail.com"
            moz-do-not-send="true">slickdog1@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I
          have a couple of pairs of barn swallows nesting in my
          workshop. I'm <br>
          happy to share the space with them.  Just means covering some
          work areas <br>
          with plastic while they're nesting.<br>
          A couple of questions:  Right now I'm leaving the workshop
          door open for <br>
          them to come and go.  I'd prefer not to do that, especially
          during heavy <br>
          rains and windy days.  (Also, I'd like to keep the door shut
          to keep <br>
          cats away from the barn swallows).  What size hole would I
          have to cut <br>
          in the wall above the door so they can easily fly in and out
          when the <br>
          door is shut?<br>
          Secondly, do they feed during really windy conditions, such as
          what is <br>
          predicted to be coming over the next 24 hours?   Or will they
          just stay <br>
          inside and ride it out?<br>
          Thanks for any help.<br>
          Andy<br>