[NatureNS] barn swallow questions

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 20:23:50 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--00000000000088a6a905a55386ca

When I was a kid in Greenwich, Kings Co. there were barn swallows nesting
in all of the neighbours' barns and sheds. Our next door neighbour would
leave her overhead sliding garage door lifted only a few inches and the
swallows would swoop low over the driveway and enter the four to five inch
opening at the bottom of the door. I was always amazed at their ability,
knowing that there was a car parked just inside the door!

George Forsyth

On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 08:43, Andy Moir <slickdog1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of pairs of barn swallows nesting in my workshop. I'm
> happy to share the space with them.  Just means covering some work areas
> with plastic while they're nesting.
> A couple of questions:  Right now I'm leaving the workshop door open for
> them to come and go.  I'd prefer not to do that, especially during heavy
> rains and windy days.  (Also, I'd like to keep the door shut to keep
> cats away from the barn swallows).  What size hole would I have to cut
> in the wall above the door so they can easily fly in and out when the
> door is shut?
> Secondly, do they feed during really windy conditions, such as what is
> predicted to be coming over the next 24 hours?   Or will they just stay
> inside and ride it out?
> Thanks for any help.
> Andy
>

> --

--00000000000088a6a905a55386ca

arn swallows nesting in all of the neighbours&#39; barns and sheds. Our nex=
t door neighbour would leave her overhead sliding garage door lifted only a=
 few inches and the swallows would swoop low over the driveway and enter th=
e four to five inch opening at the bottom of the door. I was always amazed =
at their ability, knowing that there was a car parked just inside the door!=
mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 08:=
43, Andy Moir &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:slickdog1@gmail.com">slickdog1@gmail.co=
:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"=
>I have a couple of pairs of barn swallows nesting in my workshop. I&#39;m =
happy to share the space with them.=C2=A0 Just means covering some work are=
as <br>
with plastic while they&#39;re nesting.<br>
A couple of questions:=C2=A0 Right now I&#39;m leaving the workshop door op=
en for <br>
them to come and go.=C2=A0 I&#39;d prefer not to do that, especially during=
 heavy <br>
rains and windy days.=C2=A0 (Also, I&#39;d like to keep the door shut to ke=
ep <br>
cats away from the barn swallows).=C2=A0 What size hole would I have to cut=
in the wall above the door so they can easily fly in and out when the <br>
door is shut?<br>
Secondly, do they feed during really windy conditions, such as what is <br>
predicted to be coming over the next 24 hours?=C2=A0=C2=A0 Or will they jus=
t stay <br>
inside and ride it out?<br>
Thanks for any help.<br>
Andy<br>