[NatureNS] nature notes, question on dandelions

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 16:10:34 -0400

: [NatureNS] nature notes, question on dandelions&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/
On 5/17/2020 3:08 PM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> My Grandparents loved Lamb's Quarters. Cooked like
> spinach it was very good. My Grandfather saved the seed when threshing
> the grain for birds in the winter. A lot of uses but a bad weed! There
> never
> was any shortage of it from now to frost.
> Enjoy the spring

* well, we've got accounts of both Dandelions -
https://adaptating.blogspot.com/2019/05/the-dandelion-diet.html -
Dandelions mostly don't reproduce sexually, but produce seeds asexually
by apomixis, without pollination, resulting in offspring that are
genetically identical to the parent plant. This means that clones which
have adaptive characteristics can take over uniform habitats, such as
lawns and roadsides. Since they don't require pollination, selection
among clones may favour those with reduced nectar and pollen production,
explaining their relative unattractiveness to pollinators
https://www.gardenmyths.com/dandelions-important-bees/

...these clones have been classified by splitting taxonomists as
'microspecies.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum - ' The genus
contains many species, which usually (or in the case of triploids,
obligately) reproduce by apomixis, resulting in many local populations
and endemism. In the British Isles alone, 234 microspecies are
recognised in nine loosely defined sections, of which 40 are "probably
endemic."' Notice that this article doesn't mention Taraxacum palustre,
the Soggy Ground Dandelion, which lacks the folded-back bracts around
the flowerhead of the common Dandelion, and has become common in eastern
Ontario since the 1980s -
https://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/2010/04/first-dandelion-oil-on-canvas-5-x-7in_08.html

- and Lambsquarters -
https://adaptating.blogspot.com/2018/07/lambsquarters.html - The biggest
Lambsquarters plants we've ever seen were in the rich clay of the
Scarborough Bluffs on the shore of Lake Ontario: 250 cm tall, with stems
25 mm in diameter! "We plucked the foliage from this enormous plant like
penned Goats offered cut branches, and found them mild and succulent"

...we also eat a lot of Violets, in our case the introduced Viola
odorata, and I chewed my way through Euell Gibbons books as they came out...

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History