[NatureNS] nature notes, question on dandelions

From: "John and Nhung" <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 05:36:22 -0300

   &lt;span style=3
From my earlier days of experimenting with reputedly edible wild plants, I found that raw lambs quarters were fine, but in small amounts.  Ditto (even moreso) for beach pea.  Subsequently, I read somewhere that beach pea can be toxic in substantial doses.

Young, cooked pods ... aha!

I guess there are optima to everything!

-----Original Message-----
From: naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca [mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca] On Behalf Of David Webster
Sent: May 17, 2020 6:39 PM
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: Re: [NatureNS] nature notes, question on dandelions

Hi All,

     A few additional comments on edible wild plants. My favorites are
beach pea (Lathyrus japonicus); Strip pods from the plant when peas are
half final size.  Boil until tender. The pods are salty so there is no
need to add salt. Eat pods, with a dash of butter (optional). At the
right time and place one can harvest a meal in 5 minutes. My second
favorite is Atriplex patula (Orach). This can be grown in the garden
(does fine in upland soil) or collected on the beach at sites where dogs
can not spray. Boil young shoots until tender. Again a meal in 5 minutes.

YT, DW, Kentville