[NatureNS] May 21 nature -- garlic mustard in Wolfville, more eagle nest news

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 13:21:50 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

MAY 21/20 — Again very warm (24C.) but very windy from the west.  On my daily walk in our east Wolfville neighbourhood, not far from Main St. I discovered about ten plants in flower, a horrible introduced invasive species called GARLIC MUSTARD.  This plant was discovered at Grand Pre by Pat Hawes & myself about 20 years ago, and I’m sure it is continuing to spread in all directions with abandon.

Again I checked a bald eagle nest, this time at Lower Church St., ne. of Port Williams; an adult eagle landed on the nest rim, and at least one eaglet was in the nest, perhaps about three weeks old?

On my way back to Wolfville, I discovered that the old original bald eagle nest north of Noggins Farm Market at Greenwich is now occupied by at least one adult bald eagle.  Viewing this nest is difficult from the paved roads (Hwys. 358 & 1), and I will have to try to find a better place from the river dykes or Noggins Farm roads.

Further on Greenwich bald eagles, to the west from that original Noggins nest and a bit north, on the south bank of the Cornwallis River and very near the Poor Farm Cemetery and the Rail Trail, is a much newer (5 years?) bald eagle nest in a pine tree.  But this year most of that nest has blown down, and nothing was in the remaining base of the nest.  Many of us have presumed that both of these Greenwich nests belong to one pair of eagles, but we really don’t know this.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville