[NatureNS] May 23/20 big high tide, eagle nest report, no bot. gardens open

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 16:41:34 -0300
Cc: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

MAY 23/20 — Today Pat & I drove out to Lower Canard Road, then north on Wellington Dyke Road (gravel) to the bald eagle nest that Doug Linzey reported a week ago.  Today there wad some confusion, when a red-tailed hawk flew by the nest very closely, then landed on a nearby power pole.  We didn’t see an eagle at the nest, but I think I saw a fuzzy head of an eaglet there.  Growing leaves on the poplar? nest-tree make viewing difficult.

At 2:20 p.m. the local tides were very high, listed on the BNS Calendar as 11.5 metres — but a strong & very cool wind from the northeast must have created a big storm surge, so that the actual high tide level must have been up to about 16 metres?

Also Pat & I were very disappointed that the Irving Botanical Gardens at Acadia Univ. are closed off to the public.  Through the fence we could see marsh marigold and white trilliums in bloom.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.