[NatureNS] Stove Blacking and heat transmission

ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 03:43:19 +0000

hey were painted black.=C2=A0 I couldn&amp;#39;t
It’s reversible, works both ways:  an object with a ‘black’ surface will both absorb a wide range of visible and infrared radiation, and if the object is heated, it will emit in a broad range but the emission spectrum depends largely on the temperature reached.  For heating, you are more interested in the infrared component of the emitted radiation.  How ‘black’ something is (technically, how spectrally flat, and what percentage of radiation is absorbed and not reflected out again) depends on what the paint or other coating is.  Traditional sources like candle soot deposited on the bottom of a saucer, and lamp black from oil lamps were very good black absorbers but have been superseded in paints by oil industry products.