Organics Collection Program (cont'd) - Halifax
How It Works:
- Collect all of your food scraps as you produce them in your kitchen
If you have a lot of wet food scraps and want to reduce clean-up, you may
want to take some old newspaper or other soiled paper, roll up into balls,
and place on the bottom grate of the cart. Soiled & non-recyclable
paper or boxboard materials can absorb excess moisture. You may also choose
to wrap any meat or fish with paper to absorb moisture before placing into
- Take the mini-bin outside and empty it into your large organics green
It's a good idea to add dry materials such as leaf and yard material along
with the food scraps, paper and boxboard so that you have a good balance
of materials in your cart.
- Leaf & yard waste can be put in the cart as well.
If you have more yard waste than will fit in the aerated cart, just place
the excess in orange, clear or heavy paper bags along side the cart for
Place branches (no more than four feet long) in bundles beside the cart
There is a limit of 20 orange, clear or heavy paper bags for excess leaf
and yard waste collected at the curb every two weeks alongside your cart.
- Every two weeks (see the enclosed calendar), just place the cart next
to the curb and we will empty it and take the contents for composting.
Regular waste (garbage) and the cart are never collected on the same week.
One week garbage is collected and the next week only the cart contents
and excess leaf & yard material is picked up.
- Occasionally during the summer months you may encounter fruit flies
from the fruit you eat.
To minimize this, you can rub the inside of your bin lid with vinegar and/or
sprinkle a bit of rock salt or lime inside the green cart.
- The cart is specially designed to allow air to circulate, so carts
are meant to be stored outside.
- Up to two bundles of branches (no more than four feet long ) are collected
every two weeks with your cart for composting.
- To ensure material is collected, material must be placed at the curb
by 7:00 a.m. on collection day.
You can place material curbside the night before collection day after 9:00
p.m. Check your collection schedule to make sure you know what week you
put out your regular waste what week you put out organics.
Print out this How It Works - Steps to the organics green cart program
for an easy reminder. Place on your refrigerator along with the collection
Organics Green Cart Program (Next) | back to intro
Waste Resource Home Page