The Clan MacIvor or MacIver can be traced in Argyllshire from the 13th century. The chief was MacIver of Lergachonie, afterwards of Asknish.
Several of the MacIvers assumed the name of Campbell, and others that of MacUre. Branches are be found in Ross and Caithness, and the name is common on the Isle of Lewis.
Charles MacIver (1811-1885), born in Glasgow, went to Liverpool where, with his brother David, he founded the firm of D. & C. MacIver. They managed the Liverpool end of the well-known Cunard Steamship Co., of which David was a founder. Charles, a keen volunteer, raised a corps amongst the Cunard Line staff, of which he became Colonel.
From: Scottish Clan Tartans, a Limited Edition by Glenfiddich, 1927
Based on currently available research, several sources suggest that this
Coat of Arms and Crest
were in use by some MacIvors/MacIvers prior to the later Argyll (Campbell)
boars head Crest.
[Scots in New Scotland (Nova Scotia)]
[Scottish Culture & Heritage: Scotland & New Scotland]
[New Scotland (Nova Scotia)] [Scottish Clan System]
[Scottish Clans] [Clan MacIvor Home Page]
[Credits] Standard Disclaimer
Copyright (C) 1996 * All Rights Reserved