DOS Miscellaneous Software & Utilities
- McAfee & Associates Virus Utilities
Info - All
Directory (All Products)
- VirusScan - This is the latest version of a relatively new
McFee anti-virus product, VirusScan
If McAfee's FTP site is too busy, you can try a mirror site!
Starting with 2.244 this product
featured new detection and cleaning engines which perform significantly
faster than previous versions of the software. In addition, the memory
usage of this new product has been reduced, which allows it to run in
even more environments.
- McAfee & Associates Virus Utilities V1.17
- Utilities to detect and clean viruses. Shareware program, and quite
reliable. Frequently updated to cover new viruses. Use these programs
on all downloads from the PDA for maximum safety.
- UU utils
- A set of utilities for DOS to uuencode and uudecode files and
multiple file sets. Also supports the newer XX encoding scheme.
- F-PROT version 2.25
- The F-PROT anti-virus package contains a virus scanner combined
with a disinfection program, as well as a resident monitoring program for
intercepting known viruses.
- PGP 2.61
- PGP is a program used to encrypt ASCII text. It uses RSA public-key
crytpography, a very sophisticated form of data encryption, used by
governments and large corporations to ensure provacy and security. PGP
can be used to encrypt text files that are mailed to a specific recipient
and then decoded. Many people use PGP to encrypt outgoing email, which
ensures provacy. Note: PGP is not easy to configure, and it is not
supported by CCN.
- BinHex 1.3 (Dos)
- Binhex encoding converts an 8-bit file into a 7-bit format. This
allows files with 'non-printable' characters to be transmitted using
Internet mail. Binhex is a common Macintosh transfer format. More info...
- A utility to convert binary files to Intel .HEX format for MS-DOS or
PC-DOS systems. This unique utility uses dos 'debug' to encode/decode
files. Because debug is part of every dos system it's always handy! (Like
- Color Directory
- This is an excellent directory viewer. It shows the files in colour
using a different colour for each file type. The display is six columns
wide and automatically pauses when the screen fills. It can show files
ordered by name, date, or size and may be customised to the user's
- This is Franck Uberto's XMSDSK, an update to RAMDRIVE.sys. It allows
the DOS user to set up a RAM drive with a drive letter and cluster size of
choice. The drive may be resized at any time from the DOS command line.
A bonus is the program uses much less memory than RAMDRIVE.sys.
- Impulse Tracker
- Here is an excellent MOD and MIDI player/composer. The options are
*extensive* with this great program and way to numerous to list here, but
include full editing of individual samples, and pitch & speed control.
Impulse Tracker's interface is pleasing and can be customised.
- This is a DOS EDIT replacement. It has many options and can be set to
various Margins with Adjustable wrap points. Blocking is greatly
improved, as is text layout capability when compared to Microsoft's EDIT.
EDIT! includes a Bookmarking Setup, Centered-Text capability,
Shell-to-DOS, Network Support, is able to open Multiple Files or Groups of
Files, has a Windowed Interface, can Convert to & from Unix and Macintosh
text formats, and has Undo, Search & Replace, and Clipboard capabilities.
Many more options are available.
- This allows the user to change the DOS Screen Font to one easier to
Get your own Chebucto account
Look here for our available services and prices!
Accounts for individuals, families, non-profit groups and small
Help promote us!
Who we are, what we do
and how you can help
Our Premium Internet Access
Non-Profit Highspeed Access