Downtown Halifax Business Commission
September 9, 1999
Discussion Questions - Key Points Made
- What are the particular IT needs of the downtown business community
that are not currently being met?
- There was some question if there was a need for more access.
- There was concern about the impact of free access on private downtown
businesses that offer services ( Ceilidh Connection, Second Cup, Javanet,
Great Taste, Youth Hostel) as well as existing services provided by the
Library and DalTech
- Needs exist for:
- Laptop plug-in for business visitors
- Telephone plug-in for business visitors
- Free easily accessible information to potential entrepreneurs/businesses on
establishing a business (eg; tax information, traffic flow, hard statistical information) -
a "one stop shopping place" / Information on e-commerce, web development
Who do you think the user community would be?
- Visitors to the city (e.g.: tourists, cruise ship staff/passengers)
- Local pedestrian traffic
- Casual visitors to area
- Business owners
- Other groups not geographically specific:
- Stay at home mothers
What type of training/support is needed?
- Basic skills - how to use the internet, etc.
- Information on where to go first
- There is an underutilization of technology for those that have some skills
- Possible partnerships:
Where would you see the access being made available?
- Add ons to existing private services (e.g.: Ceilidh Connection)
Ideas for follow-up:
- Project to pull together the "one stop shopping idea" for business
- Information for potential businesses - maybe a Dalhousie MBA student
- Way to have further discussion/input online with other businesses
Return to Urban CAP Main Page