http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Help/ask_tech.shtml

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:53:26 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Michael R. Marshall" <ad760@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: techteam@chebucto.ns.ca

        Hi Michael. What had happened is your mailbox became corrupted.
This has been fixed. A Chebucto mailbox only becomes corrupted when two
different processes access the same mailbox at the same moment; for
example if you have Outlook Express open downloading your email and you
open the Chebucto Webmail to access your mail at the same time.

        Microsoft Outlook Express is also capable of corrupting your
mailbox on its own. If the user puts in an incorrect password and in quick
succession tries to put in several different passwords, Outlook Express
will open a new mail session for each attempt and will not cleanly close
the connection for each failed attempt so the mailbox becomes corrupted.
For this and for a number of other reasons including poor security and a
tendency to randomly alter its own settings we do not recommend Microsoft
Outlook Express as an email program. If you choose to continue with
Outlook Express then you need to exercise caution when closing the program
or if you put in the incorrect password to allow up to ten minutes for the
mail session on Chebucto's side to time out and close on its own before
trying to access the mailbox again.

        Our recommendation is to use Mozilla Thunderbird as a home email
program. It is completely free, no strings attached, no ads or other
foolishness. You can download it from http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
and when you install it you can import the email and addressbook from
Outlook Express so you don't lose anything.