"Bcc" list to Members

Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:48:30 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Sandy,

   I'm going to presume that you're referring to PINE in your question.

   It's very easy to create a distribution list where everyone is included
and you simply just put the nickname of the list in the Bcc: area and all
the names will be included and not seen by anyone receiving the email.

  After starting PINE, press 'm' for menu and 'a' for addressbook.  Press
'a' again to add a new list and enter a nickname for the list (ie...ski),
the full name of the list and then the email addresses below, spearting
eachone with a comma so that PINE will recognize that they are distinct
addresses.  Save by using ^x (control+x) and 'y' (for exit and yes, save
the work).

   Whenever you want to add to the list, just highlight your nickname
(ie...ski) or the words 'DISTRIBUTION LIST' and press 'v' for view/edit or
'a' for add.  Use this time to also delete any addresses you no longer
want in the list.  For lists larger than 50 names, I find PINE sometimes
gets fussy so I break lists into smaller lists of 40 - 50 names each .
You could call them 'ski1' and 'ski2'.  To send the message to both in one
email, put, 'sk1' and 'ski2' in the Bcc: field.

   PINE usually doesn't mind including more than 50 names if the names
are broken down into smaller lists and included that way.  If it does then
simply send them as two emails.  Have your document already saved in your
files and use ^r (control+r) to 'read' the document into your email to
save time.  There is also an 'Lcc: mode designed for lists (I assume it
allows many more names than Bcc:) but since I have never used, I don't
know if the names would be hidden like Bcc:.

   If you're using another method (ie...IMAP) then you can set up similar
distribution lists in your favourite email reading program and send Bcc:
lists out in that manner.

Hope this helps

CCN Help