Tooo muccchhh spaammmm

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:15:09 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Joy Mendleson <ab522@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Joy,

   Do you have your spam settings set to delete?  Type 'gspam' at the Lynx
prompt, enter your userid and password and set to delete and save your
settings.  This should eliminate some of the spam.  There is so much spam
on the internet that we currently have 3 mail servers doing nothing but
sorting through the junkmail flood.

   Junkmail creators are very sophisticated these days. They are sending
mail that looks like legitimate email but with piles of junk words; the
desire is to mess up our filters that self-teach themselves to recognize
keywords that identify junkmail.  By causing our self-teaching filters to
grab all words, they are, in effect, negating our filters.  This,
unfortunately, is a problem facing all providers.

   Some providers get around this by making their filters tougher to
bypass but they may end up, inadvertantly, deleting some legitimate email
in the process.  CCN errs on the side of caution.

CCN Help