Can't Telnet to Chebucto

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:08:30 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Joy Mendleson <ab522@chebucto.ns.ca>

	Hi Joy. In testing the telnet://chebucto.ca command on Internet
Explorer 7, I found yet another reason to use Mozilla Firefox as your
primary web browser (in addition to the 21 times better security according
to studies). It doesn't work. Not just doesn't work, but when you take up
Microsoft's helpful offer to search the web for a program to run the web
content, it tells you Windows does not recognize the telnet protocol, one
of the oldest well established protocols on the Internet, and built in to
every version of Windows since Windows 3.11. Such blatant stupidity
commands respect.

	In Firefox the URL works - it pops up a box to tell you an
external application must be launched then when you tell it to launch the
application (the button un-greys after a few seconds) it opens the built
in Windows telnet client. Firefox, which is free, can be downloaded from
http://mozilla.com/

	A better alternative to using telnet is to use SSH, which is
encrypted telnet. A good windows SSH client is Putty, free to download
from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

	When setting up Putty be sure to change the setting in Terminal -
Keyboard to use the Backspace key as Control-H and save the change.
Otherwise the backspace key doesn't work right.