Email rejects

Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:31:44 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Joy Mendleson <ab522@chebucto.ns.ca>

	Hi Joy. In real life there are a number of problems with the idea.
We tried this system with the webmail and had to turn it off. People were
blacklisting the addresses of every bad mail they received and since
spammers virtually never use the same addresses twice on their spam what
happened was that mail was slowed to a crawl for some users checking all
new mail with thousands of blacklisted addresses that would never be used
again.

	If what you are suggesting is a report as spam button, that too
has issues. We have recently seen a case where a legitimate client was
driven to leave Chebucto because their mail was being maliciously and
deliberately reported as spam. We have seen users using a report as spam
button as a delete button so all their erased (and some legitimate) mail
was skewing filter scores. We concluded that users were not sophisticated
enough to reliably tag spam and only spam as spam whether through lack of
knowledge or malice. We do not have enough users to balance out through
numbers the actions of the misguided ones.