Q.s - Answers to get us going.

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:10:52 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: J Anson <anson@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Jane,

   Chebucto has only a couple of paid positions within the office and the
rest of the system is run by volunteers.

   I am a volunteer; just a user connecting from home, and assisting other
users with questions relating to Chebucto services.  I connect as you do,
via dial up, and this is not my 'job' per se.  This is why you might not
see a reply to your question right away or at all (if none of the
volunteers know the answer).  The volunteers are just other users who are
a bit more experienced with the system (and computers, internet, etc) and
are offering you access to that experience.

   We do not profess to know 'everything' and, ourselves, get stumped by
some problems.  However, being more experienced with internet usage
affords us the opportunity to seek answers to our 'tougher' questions on
the internet with those who are even more experienced than we are and can
answer things we can't.  This is how everyone learns and, eventually, you
may be able to offer assistance to someone you know.

   Your questions are of a general nature and not related to Chebucto but
I will try to answer a few of them.  I don't use the same operating
system as you do so I can't answer all of them exactly.  So let's give it
a shot:

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, J Anson wrote:

> Here are the answers to your Q.s and a few more from me:
> 1. PC
> 2. Windows 2000
> 3. Word/ don't know - whatare you referring to?

   You are probably using Office 2000 on a PC, so you may be using Word
for 2000.  What I referring to, was which browser are you using to view
the internet but since your answer to #8 is 'the free one' then you are
using the Chebucto text service and Lynx browser, which means you are
viewing only the text versions of webpages.

> 4. Saving webpage or image to desktop, see 'copy location' option.  Does loc. go
> to start menu?  Can I return to page from that 'copied loc.'?  There seem to be
> many ways to save and/or return to sites and I wonder what the various best
> uses of them are?

   This will not apply to you as a graphical web browser such as Internet
Explorer or Firefox will not work with the 'free' Chebucto account.  You
will need to use Lynx (which is provided automatically as soon as you log
in) to view the text versions of webpages.  The 'copy location' you see is
located within a graphical web browser and is used for capturing web url
locations (while using a graphical internet connection like PLUS) for
reproduction later.

   Every computer sets aside a small bit of ram memory, when it boots up,
for an area called the 'clipboard' where you can cut to and paste from
when you are working with a document in a program such as Word, Wordpad,
WordPerfect etc.  Graphical browsers will also use this 'clipboard' to
temporarily hold 'clipped items' for pasting later.

   Let's say you want to send a friend an email, talking about this really
great website you found but the url for it is huge and encompasses several
lines of code.  For you to accurately type out the url in an email may be
a daunting task but using 'copy location', you can highlight and clip the
url in question and 'paste' it into your email for sending to your friend.
This will not act as a saved bookmark for your later use.

   To create a bookmark, you must use the option 'bookmark this page'.
However, since you are using Lynx through the 'free' text account at
Chebucto, a graphical browser won't help you here.  Lynx offers a bookmark
option where you can highlight a link or page (that you're currently
viewing) and selecting 'a' for add bookmark and then either 'l' (for link)
or 'd' (display, if you want to save a link to the actual page you're
currently viewing).  This may sound a bit confusing but it's actually
quite easy once you get used to it.

> 5. video program - don't know, how do I find out?

   If you're using Windows 2000, you're probaly using Windows Media
Player (WMP), which is the default movie player on Windows.  To view
movies through the text connection, you would, first, need to download the
movie to your computer and, then, use WMP to view them.  Movie files are
generally quite large and downloading them through a text connection at
33,600 bps (potential top speed of the text service connection although
the actual speed can be even slower, depending on your modem and
connection problems) can be very time consuming.  Movies are best
downloaded through high speed internet connections (which Chebucto doesn't
yet offer).

> 6. Firefox, probably.

   You wouldn't be using Firefox through a text connection but Lynx.
Firefox can be used when you use the PLUS service, which is not free, or
to view items you, first, download to a holding directory.

> 7. Looking for a recommended useful mozilla extension to aid in
> organizing(mainly) and sharing bookmarks but not chat- or social-use-focused,
> necessarily.

   I'm not quite sure how this would help you since Firefox cannot connect
to the internet via the text service so any extensions wouldn't work.

> 8. Cheb Plus, I think - it's the free one.
>
> I have had trouble finishing installation of Mozilla themes or extensions, also
> Realplayer, also Thunderbird.  I seem to be lacking an essential piece of
> knowledge about installing stuff. Or...?

   If these progams are expecting a PPP (PLUS) graphical connection,
(which RealPlayer, Thunderbird and Firefox are), then that would explain
why they are having difficulties.  A text-only connection will not work
with these programs although these programs can work on their own for
offline work.  You would just need to, first, download everything to a
holding directory prior to accessing the files with your other programs.

> Thanks for the help - I'm assuming this is what you do, like you job.  I'm not
> taking up your time.

   Hope this helps, although you may be even more confused by some of the
terminology I've used.  If you have specific questions, write back to:
userhelp@chebucto.ca and I (or another volunteer) might be able to
elaborate further on some of the points.

Tony @ CCN Help