Disconnections

Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:41:38 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Anne Purcell <av654@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Anne,

    To add to Richard's response:

    As we have had no other recent complaints re: disconnections, we have
to treat your case as an exception rather than a general system problem.

    Internet transmission (including connecting to CCN) is all a matter of
hisses, clicks, pops and screeches (the language of modems) and so
unfortunately, phone line noise, call waiting beeps, messaging beeps,
someone picking up an extension, telephone company work in your area
etc...can all contribute to noises interpreted by the system to be
legitimate characters typed on your keyboard.  If one of those noises is
interpreted as 'hang up', CCN will disconnect.

    Check all your phone line connections in your home.  Blow dust out of
any connections where the cords plug into the walls.  Listen to your dial
tone and then tap your hang up button to make your phone line quiet.
Listen to see if you have a quiet line or if there is a lot of hum and
static on your phone line once the dial tone is stopped.  These all
contribute to bad connections.  To disable call waiting, add *70 to your
dial up options in your modem setup.  Check any outstanding messages you
may have waiting on your phone message system (if you have it set up, as
the beeps from this will knock you offline).

    If you live in an apartment building, it's possible the connection from
the street to the building may have become faulty - check with the other
tenants in your building to see if they, too, are experiencing problems with
the phone line.  Call the phone company to see if there have been any other
reports of line problems in your immediate area that may contribute to your
problem.  As well, they should be able to tell you if there is work
currently being performed in your area.

    Ensure that no other programs start using your resources on your
computer while you're online.  Viruses, adware, spyware, malware all like
to use the internet connection to send data back to their creators or to
replicate by sending copies of themselves to names found in your email
addressbook.  Anti-virus programs set to autorun every now and then can
temporarily disconnect your internet connection while scanning your system
in the background.  Firewalls have been known to knock people offline
occasionally in their over protective zealousness.

    To protect your computer against spyware, malware, viruses etc (which
can contribute to disconnections), we recommending downloading and
installing the following programs: Ad-Aware SE (www.lavasoft.com), SpyBot
(Search and Destroy) v1.4, AVGFree v7.5 Anti-Virus Scanner.  All of these
programs have 'free' versions which, although not as feature-laden as
their commercials counterparts, still do an excellent job of ridding your
computer system of nasty stuff.  Also, your volatile ram (not your hard
drive space) in your computer can become fragmented due to many programs
opening and closing.  A reboot of your computer can fix this problem, in
the event you haven't rebooted it in awhile.

    Let us know if any of these suggestions has helped you or if you need
clarification of anything.

Tony @ CCN Help