Mousepad feedback form: disconnections

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:08:30 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: carmel m fox <delta4789@yahoo.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca, mousepad@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Carmel,

    Userhelp and Mousepad are usually for the assistance of the users
of the Chebucto Community Net but we will never turn away from
answering a question that could possibly assist someone.

    Are you using a dial-up service?  Phone line interference, call
waiting, bad connections or a number of other factors can cause the
effect you describe.

    Internet transmission (including connecting to CCN) is all a matter of
hisses, clicks, pops and screeches (the language of modems) and so
unfortunately, phone line noise, call waiting beeps, someone picking up an
extension, telephone company work in your area etc...can all contribute
to noises interpreted by the system to be legitimate characters typed on
your keyboard.  If one of those noises is interpreted as 'hang up',
your ISP will disconnect.

    Check all your phone line connections in your home.  Blow dust out of
any connections where the cords plug into the walls.  Listen to your dial
tone and then tap your hang up button to make your phone line quiet.
Listen to see if you have a quiet line or if there is a lot of hum and
static on your phone line once the dial tone is stopped.  These all
contribute to bad connections.  To disable call waiting, add *70 to your
dial up options in your modem setup.

    If you live in an apartment building, it's possible the connection from
the street to the building may have become faulty - check with the other
tenants in your building to see if they, too, are experiencing problems with
the phone line.  Call the phone company to see if there have been any other
reports of line problems in your immediate area that may contribute to your
problem.  As well, they should be able to tell you if there is work
currently being performed in your area.

    Ensure that no other programs start using your resources on your
computer while you're online.  Viruses, adware, spyware, malware all like
to use the internet connection to send data back to their creators or to
replicate by sending copies of themselves to names found in your email
addressbook.  Anti-virus programs set to autorun every now and then can
temporarily disconnect your internet connection while scanning your system
in the background.  Firewalls have been known to knock people offline
occasionally in their over protective zealousness.

    Let us know if any of these suggestions has helped you or if you need
clarification of anything.

Tony @ CCN Help