Spam?

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 00:12:44 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Janice Feltham <ah262@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Janice,

    What has happened is some spammer somewhere used your email address
as the reply-to address on his spam.  Anyone can use any address on
email if they don't care where the replies go.  The spammer does this
to defeat anti-spam measures that confirm an email address is valid
before accepting mail from it.  The spammer could have gotten your
address dozens of different ways - from postings on the net, from
someplace you've given your email address, from infecting someone's
computer who has your address in their addressbook, etc.  There is no
way to stop this happening and changing your email address to a new
one will not stop this from happening again.

    The good news is that a spammer will only use an address for a
small run of spam email - otherwise they risk getting filtered out -
so any bounced messages you're getting will peter out pretty quick.
Spammers have literally millions of email addresses to use so you
should only see this sort of thing once in a while.

CCN Help