Password

Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:22:57 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Stuart T. Read" <ak164@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Stuart,

    What has happened is some spammer somewhere used your email address
as the reply-to address on his spam.  Anyone can use any address on email if
they don't care where the replies go.  The spammer does this to defeat
anti-spam measures that confirm an email address is valid before accepting
mail from it.  The spammer could have gotten your address dozens of
different ways - from postings on the net, from someplace you've given your
email address, from infecting someone's computer who has your address in
their addressbook, etc.  There is no way to stop this happening and changing
your email address to a new one will not stop this from happening again.

    The good news is that a spammer will only use an address for a small run
of spam email - otherwise they risk getting filtered out - so any bounced
messages you're getting will peter out pretty quick. Spammers have literally
millions of email addresses to use so you should only see this sort of thing
once in a while.

    To change your text/mail password, type g)password at the Lynx
prompt, fill in the appropriate blanks and save your changes.  It
takes about an hour for the change to come into effect.

CCN Help