Email Problems

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:11:58 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Edward Paterson <ay595@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Edward,

    The mail should be moving at the normal rate again.

    We had a problem with an overheating processor shutting down the
system but now have it repaired.  The mail became backed up during
the few days we had the problems but we've now caught up.  As luck
would have it, just as we were getting the backlog cleared up, we were
hit with a spam storm from the internet which added to the backlog.

    As for improving speed of email, try using a standalone program
called Mozilla Thunderbird (which is a free email program from
www.mozilla.org), and use the POP3 server which is quicker to retrieve
email.  That way, once you've download your email, Thunderbird
manipulates it however you want and the speed of Thunderbird is only
limited by the speed of your PC which should be pretty quick.

    When you're ready to send any email, Thunderbird will upload it to
your SMTP server (which may be Sympatico or CCN, whichever service
you're connected to at the time).  All the composing and reading is
done on your home computer at its speed and not over the phone line,
which is pretty slow to begin with.

    With WebMail, you have to wait until your computer and CCN talk
back and forth over the dialup line to redraw each screen etc, and
this could get slowed down if there is a lot of traffic online.

CCN Help