Computer Internet Acess Problems

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:12:49 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca, office@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Sandy,

    Go to: www.lavasoft.com and download the latest 'free' version of
Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition.  It looks for an entirely different
criteria than SpyBot and often finds a lot of stuff that SpyBot didn't.
There are things called 'tracking cookies' placed on your system by
malicious websites and Ad-Aware is really good at detecting those and
allowing you to remove them.  I find that can speed things up a lot.

    Also, you mention your wireless feed is also slowing down.  Your
browser may be a fault here.  Are you using the latest version of
Firefox.  It's a much better and much more secure browser than Internet
Explorer and can be set up to _NOT_ allow websites' attempts to strat
scripts in the background to snoop around on your system.  Firefox uses
an add-on call NoScript for this feature and I love it.  It totally shuts
down browser-slowing scripts everywhere.

    As well, have you flushed your cache lately?  A full cache on many of
the newer computers can total as much as 500 gigabytes (not kidding here,
I saw one recently).  Since your computer attempts to index everything and
keep track of everything it really doesn't need to, your cache can slow
your browser to absolute crawl or shut it down completely.  Go into your
options and flush your cache the next time you run your system.

    Next, have you emptied your Recycle Bin lately?  This is a travestry
thrust upon the PC world by those trying to create a Trash-caching system
like the Mac world had (and it never really worked all that great there
either).  Your Recycle Bin holds everything you think you've deleted but
you've, basically, just moved into another folder and which your computer,
of course, will attempt to index, slowing everything down again.  Have you
tried running Disk Cleanup in your Programs/Accessories/SystemTools?.
This will allow your computer to also find stuff it no longer needs needs
and will clean it out.

    I wouldn't really run any registry cleaners unless you know exactly
what you're doing.  Cleaning out needed registry pointers and codes can
crash your system even before you get back up to your desktop as generic
registry cleaners can take stuff out that is needed by other programs and,
although you can reverse the cleaning, sometimes you can't get the
computer up to the point at which it gives you the option to un-clean and
then you're in trouble.  Best to leave the registy out of this for now
and work on cleaning up the stuff which won't mess up your computer.

Tony @ CCN Help