program questions.

Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 01:02:15 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Janet Mackenzie <jimack@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Janet,

    Remote Assistance is a Microsoft service which, if turned on, allows
Microsoft to remotely monitor your computer and Windows install for
potential problems.  It's like having a technician watching your system.
Usually, they will only monitor your system if you're having problems and
can't explain your problem efficiently over the phone support line or via
email.

    RA allows a Microsoft service technician to, actually, come into your
computer, find the potential problems and fix them remotely from the
Microsoft offices.  If turned off, they cannot do this.  This is not a
Chebucto thing and we have nothing to do with it.  RA is installed
automatically with Windows.

    As for SpyBot updates; yes, you only need the most recent updates as
they contain everything earlier updates had, along with some newer fixes
as well.  As for server locations; SpyBot gets a lot of update requests
from all over the world so they set up what are called 'mirrors';
basically, remote computers in large universities, for example, around
the world in major cities which people can use to update their SpyBot.

    If everyone used their main server, SpyBot would be overloaded with
requests and file transfer would be very slow.  The nearest mirror to us
here in Nova Scotia is in the U.S.  That just means, the nearest, largest
system that serves the eastern U.S. and probably the eastern half of
Canada is located in an eastern U.S. center.

    If you download from there, you will get a much quicker, more efficient
response than if you tried to download an update from central Russia, for
example, as that needs to go a lot farther.  All the major program
distributors use mirrors to lessen demand on internet traffic distance and
supply faster downloads for their users.

    Hope this helps explain things a bit.

Tony @ CCN Help