Download probs

Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:10:43 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <adw@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Harry E. Slaunwhite" <at593@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Harry. I think that no one answered the original email because
there is nothing that we can do about it.

 	Firefox updates are distributed across servers around the world.
They are supposed to automagically provide you with the a download from a
server close to you or one that has spare download capacity but this can
vary and you can get connected to a slow or distant download server. This
can happen on highspeed connections as well as on dialup. If you try again
later you should get a different server that may work better.

 	We are not blocking or otherwise hindering Norton or Firefox
downloads. I can only speculate about what could be causing Norton updates
to timeout. Perhaps Norton is disconnecting slower dialup connection
downloads? Norton downloads can be large and maybe they might be trying to
save some money by limiting access to updates by some sort of timeout for
downloads that take too long (by Norton's standards)? I don't know.

 	We do not recommend Norton as an anti-virus product, which is
pretty much all we can do on the matter. You, as a paying Norton customer
could try complaining to Norton about being unable to update their product
over a dialup connection and ask them if they have any alternative links
or settings that can be adjusted.

 	Alternately you could switch to Microsoft Security Essentials,
which we do recommend. It's free and more to the point, its downloads for
this area come from the basement of the Killam Library, which I can see
from the Chebucto office window and which we have a direct connection to.

 	No other Chebucto users have reported issues with downloading
Norton or Firefox.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f