Apple IIGS System Software Needed...

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 21:31:38 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>, office@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Fred,

    Since you do not mention if you have a hard drive in your GS, I will
give you basic instructions on getting the GS/OS System on floppy disks.
You will need 7 - 800k floppy disks (I use high density but format them as
800k, a practice frowned upon by purists who say the HD disks will fail
after a few years but an experiment I did over 20 years ago (storing a
huge number of files on re-formatted HD disks and then checking them on a
regular basis) show the disks and data are still as good as ever to this
very day so 'your mileage may vary' as they say.  If you only have 5.25"
floppy disks, you may need to download the regular 8-bit software first to
give you something to boot with.  You would need double density disk for
those drives (143k) as the high density PC disks (1.2mb) are completely
unsuitable for the older II drives.

    That said, Apple Computer Inc. abandoned the 16-bit Apple IIGS in 1991
(however, they still sold the 8-bit IIe until 1993).  Although they had
abandoned the hardware, they maintained copyright control over the system
software (since many of the algorythms for the GS system are also used in
the Macintosh) which is why it is only available from the Apple website or
from a few designated sites (of Apple's choosing) around the world.  Below
you will find the website URLs needed to access everything you need to get
your GS up and running.

    You didn't mention if you have a PC, Mac or any other computer (along
with the GS) so I will give you instructions for both systems.  Unless you
have the ability to download directly to your GS, which I doubt since you
don't have an operating system yet for it, you can download PC-zipped or
Macintosh self-extracting archives containing the GS/OS System v6.0.1. You
will find Macintosh versions of the files at Apple older file repository
here:

        Site: Apple's Older Software Downloads

    If you are unable to create the necessary files using DiskCopy, here
is the link for DiskDup v2.9, which will definitely work for you.  The GS
and older Apple 3.5" drives used a process called 'auto inject', which
meant you could push the disk in halfways and the drive would suck the
disk in the rest of the way on its own.  Macs used a similar drive in the
mid to late 80's but Apple changed to a (cheaper to make) 'manual inject'
system in the early 90's.  Using DiskCopy will create copies that require
a manual inject drive and since your GS has an auto inject drive, the file
created won't boot.  Another freeware program, DiskDup, uses a special
algorythm to create an auto inject disk on a manual inject drive so that
it will work in your GS. You will find DiskDup here:

        File: DiskDup2.9.hqx

    In the event you are using a PC, you can use CiderPressv3.0.1,
freeware by Andy McFadden to help convert Apple II files stored in PC
format back to Apple-readable files.  CiderPress is available here:

        File: CiderPress v3.0.1

    For further information and assistance, here is a page on the internet
with complete instructions on how to get and install the software.  It's
written for newbies so it's very basic but very complete.

        Page: Getting the GS System

    Once you have System 6.0.1 up and running, you can attach a standard
external 56k modem and contact us (or any site) online for further
software and assistance.  Good luck and please let us know how you make
out.

Tony @ CCN Userhelp