Re: Email Phishing

Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 01:10:17 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: ebl7@chebucto.ns.ca

 	Hi Erica. Another point I forgot to make in my original email was
that all the 'free' email providers - GMail, Hotmail, Live mail, Yahoo
mail - not only read your messages and track your patterns, they sell this
information to literally thousands of companies. Your email here on
Chebucto gets read by you and you alone.

 	A quick Google around the Internet shows dozens of sites that go
on about the drawbacks of HTML mail. The points go like this:

 	1. HTML email messages are in fact sent as two versions, one plain
text and one HTML. This at least doubles and can triple the length of the
email. You as the sender has no idea which one will be read.

For example in your first letter to me, your bolded bold was rendered in
the text version as BOLD and your italic'd italic was rendered as
/ italic /.

Different mail clients may render the HTML in different manners so you
have less control over the final appearance of your message than plain
text.

 	2. HTML mail is frequently used by scammers, spammers and phishers
so it has an unsavoury air about it right from the start. It can contain
viruses or malicious scripts that are not separate attachments, redirect
the reader without his knowledge to malicious content, contain outside
possibly malicious content, tracking content, and be rendered slowly or
just plain badly.

 	Since they are a security risk some places may strip the HTML or
even reject the message outright. Mailing lists in particular will often
reject HTML mail since it can be rendered as the HTML source code rather
than just the text content.

 	So to keep things simple, professionals keep to plain text for
emails and if it is critical the recipient see something formatted, that
it be included as an attached PDF or graphic where the sender will know
exactly what the viewer will be seeing.