Email Phishing

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:24:20 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: ebl7@chebucto.ns.ca

 Hi again, Erica.

The first thing you've pointed out is our anti-phishing filtering.
In a nutshell if what a link is claiming to be and what it really is are
different, then there is a warning given. In many cases this may be
legitimate, the real agency simply using a different machine to process
requests, for example, public.acme.com is claiming to be acme.com. In
other cases, like badguys.com.hk is claiming to be royalbank.com, it's
obviously criminals pretending to be the bank website. You should use your
judgement. A two letter country code is often a giveaway - in the last
example you know it's from bad guys because the Royal Bank you deal with
is not in Hong Kong (.hk).

More below, in your letter.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, ebl7@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> To Andrew White and Richard Bonner:
>
> I receive emails from a legitimate website, Open Heart Forgery, but since
> getting these emails with Chebucto email, they always come with this warning:
> MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
> ohforgery.us2.list-manange.com claiming to be http://ohForgery.com
> Sometimes it says claiming to be ohForgery.com, which is slightly
> different than the first one.  Should I be concerned about this?
>
> By the way, I do fully appreciate the high level of security Chebucto email
> offers.
>
> Regarding the issue of HTML, I have done a little experiment. I sent myself
> an email from my gmail account. I changed font, font size, font colour, used
> bold, used italics, and centered text. When I checked my Chebucto email, the
> email I sent myself from gmail appeared exactly as I had composed it, even
> the coloured font. The bolded word did not appear as BOLD, the italicized
> word did not appear as /italic/. There werent pages and pages of code with
> it, either. Yet, as you explained to me, when I sent you an email using the
> rich text format with Chebucto, it did not appear as I typed it.

Remember the two versions of the message that get sent when you
send an HTML message - one plain text and one HTML? You saw one of them
and between those two programs you say it looked as intended. Our point
was that not every program will show the version you intend or the HTML as
intended. That it works sometimes misses the point.

> The weird thing is, when you click on switch to HTML with Chebucto, that
> when you are given all the options with font, bold, italics, etc. but when
> you switch to HTML with gmail, it is plain text with no ability to bold,
> centre, etc.  Why are these completely opposite? This is why I was initially
> confused about HTML.

Usually a toggle switch option will show you the choice you aren't
looking at now as the available option. In Gmail's case, this selector
must not be a toggle switch; I don't use Gmail so I'm speculating.

> I don't use my gmail account but I'll keep it because of Google. For example,
> I needed it to change the filter to high to block obscene search results from
> appearing when doing Google searches.
>

> I am having another frustration with the email. I have several emails in my
> inbox that I want to keep but I dont want them sitting there in my inbox. I
> have to scroll all the way down to the bottom, and also go to a next page
> for the new ones. It is odd, and I probably complained about this in my first
> email, that there is no icon for Archive. I clicked on Open Folder and
> created an Archive folder. This now appears in the drop-down menu in the
> upper right-hand corner. But no matter what I try, I cannot get any of my
> emails into this folder. I put a check in the boxes of the ones I wanted to
> archive and then clicked on the drop-down menu that says, Messages to and
> there was my Archive folder. I clicked on that and nothing happened. I went
> in to the Archive folder and it just says, No messages in this folder. How do
> I archive emails?

To move an email to a folder, first select the email by clicking
and putting a checkmark in the box to the left of the email. Check all the
emails you're moving to the same folder.

Directly above the list of emails you'll see this:

Move | Copy  [This message to    ]

The "This message to" is a dropdown menu. Click it to see your folders,
select the folder you want to save the emails to then click Move to move
the messages to that folder, deleting them from the inbox. Clicking on
Copy would leave the messages in the inbox and put copies in the selected
folder.

> I am impressed with Spybot. I tried to upload something and a window popped
> up immediately to tell me that the file may contain malicious software. I am
> curious though, is there any particular reason why you recommended Spybot?
> Ive heard that Microsoft anti-everything is good (and its free also).
> Every time I turn on my computer a very annoying window pops up warning me
> that I may not have anti-virus software installed. But obviously I do as I
> run a sweep with Spybot once a week and it's working just fine!

Spybot is not a replacement for an antivirus program, it's a
malware detector that looks for spyware not viruses.

There are several good free anti-virus programs out there but I
usually recommend Microsoft Security Essentials, free from
http://microsoft.com

I also recommend Malwarebytes free version as a nice complement to
the two other programs. You can find our recommended software list here:

http://beacon.chebucto.ca/news.shtml#software