e-mail

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:16:44 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Pat and Malcolm Bayne <av227@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Malcolm. This is POP timing out. When you make a POP3
connection the inbox gets locked so it can't be written to while you are
downloading your mail. If the connection gets disrupted, our server will
wait to get a response from your mail client and the mailbox remains
locked for this time. If you try logging in again while the mailbox is
locked the new process will say it can't get a lock.

 	There's a couple of suggestions for this problem. In order of
effectiveness, they would be:

1. Switch to IMAP instead of POP3. With IMAP you are accessing the mail
directly on the server so there is no mailbox locking to contend with.
IMAP also offers the advantage that you only download the contents of a
large message when you want it and you can click on other email while it
downloads. IMAP simply works better than POP3.

2. If you are dedicated to POP3, go into your mail client settings and
find a timout setting and set it to longer. Many mail clients by default
will time out after thirty seconds and by setting the timeout to something
like five minutes you decrease the chance of trying to access a mailbox
locked by a stalled POP session.

3. Rebooting the computer shouldn't be necessary when you do hit this.
Waiting ten minutes before trying to POP your mail again will work. All
that has to happen is for our server to stop waiting on the dropped
session, something which wouldn't take longer than ten minutes.

 	On the good news side, we've now got things running so that
setting up Thunderbird is automatic - you just need to be online when you
do it. All you need to put in is your name, your email address @
chebucto.ns.ca and whether you want to use IMAP or POP3 and the rest gets
filled in for you - secure settings, correct port numbers, all automatic.
Setting up IMAP on Thunderbird has literally never been easier.