Press Release of Nov. 5: Hurricane Mitch

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:05:43 -0400 (AST)
From: Owen Hertzman <hertzman@atm.dal.ca>
To: Matthew Jamieson Jonah <mjjnh@mta.ca>
cc: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

With all due respect to the awards given, most of the science in this
email is CRAP that I wouldn't shovel to my first year students.

1)  The reason for the increased number of hurricanes is La Nina, not
human induced global warming.

2)  Hurricane Hugo wasin 1989.

3)  There is NO connection between increased global temperatures and
increased tropical storminess--it's an urban legend.

The points about deforestation are true and important...but trying to make
this out as some kind of syndrome of global warming is nonsense.
The assertion by the 190 IPCC document regarding storms, even those in our
latitudes, are hotly debated.  There may be some changes but at the recent
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society Meeting here in Halifax
the details of this change were a matter of debate.

The more relevant issue in this disaster is the incredible lack of forward
planning...both by governments in the region and by aid agencies up here.
It was clear there was going to be a disaster down there as soon as Mitch
stalled.  So why weren't we airlifting in supplies then?

3 days before that volcano landslide it was obvious from the satellite
pictures that a major rain event was already beating on Honduras.

The QUESTION we should be asking is why we can't respond more quickly to
disasters based in agricultural practices that are very questionable.

BUt please, don't lay this on fossil fuels.  I'm surprised the Sierra Club
didn't do its homework on this.

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Matthew Jamieson Jonah wrote:

> Hiya Sust-mar'ars,
>
> Here's a dose of reality to add to our evening newscasts.
>
> >>Posted by the SCC National Office:
> >>                                           News Release
> >>
> >>412-1 rue Nicholas St., Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7B7  Tel: (613) 241-4611
> >>Fax: (613) 241-2292   e-mail: sierra@web.net
> >>
> >>For Immediate release
> >>Was Hurricane Mitch a Natural Disaster?
> >>
> >>(Ottawa, November 6, 1998) The Salvadoran Centre For Appropriate Technology
> >>(CESTA) has declared Hurricane Mitch an unnatural disaster.  Dr. Ricardo
> >>Navarro, the president of the Salvadoran Centre for Appropriate Technology,
> >>said today that he believes hurricane Mitch is a result of human fossil
> >>fuel emissions and deforestation.
> >>
> >>The winner of the International Goldman Award for the Environment said,
> >>"Why should we be surprised. We have changed the global climate. We
> >>predicted an increase in global climatic disasters, and now we are
> >>confronted with the human and environmental consequences. Unfortunately, we
> >>are paying a very high price for our actions...death and destruction."
> >>
> >>There have always been natural disasters.  Hurricanes, floods, drought and
> >>heat waves.  However, in 1990 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
> >>Change, an international body of eminent scientists, warned that human
> >>fossil fuel emissions and deforestation would lead to global climate
> >>change.  As a consequence of a rise in global temperature, they predicted
> >>an increase in severe climatic events.
> >>
> >>Hurricane Mitch could be a symptom of these changing times.  The nine
> >>hottest years on record have been in the last 15 years. The hottest year on
> >>record could be 1998, the hottest global month on record was recorded this
> >>past July and the hottest temperature on the planet was recorded this year
> >>in India at an astounding 52 degrees Celsius.  But global climate change is
> >>not about just heat, scientists predicted many years ago that the result
> >>would be increased intensity and frequency of droughts, forest fire hazards
> >>and storm activity.  Hurricane Mitch marks the fourth hurricane in the
> >>region this year and follows on the heels of Hurricane Hugo only a few
> >>weeks ago.
> >>
> >>"The climate catastrophes we are seeing around the globe are occurring
> >>because the First world is driving cars, the world's forests are
> >>disappearing and we are not addressing the root causes of this problem in
> >>either the North or the South", Dr. Navarro.
> >>
> >>The Salvadoran Centre for Appropriate Technology seeks to find solutions to
> >>our current environmental and social problems through appropriate
> >>technology.
> >>
> >>Dr. Ricardo Navarro is an internationally recognized environmental activist
> >>and a recipient of the prestigious Goldman Environmental Award and a winner
> >>of the Global 500 Award.  He is the president of the Salvadoran Centre For
> >>Appropriate Technology (CESTA) and the international representative for El
> >>Salvador of Friends of the Earth.

> [...]

Owen Hertzman                     E-mail: Owen.Hertzman@Dal.Ca
Dept. of Oceanography             Phone: (902) 494-3683
Dalhousie University              FAX:  (902) 494-2885
Halifax, NS CANADA, B3H 4J1