An overblown response

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:15:24
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Helga Hoffmann <greenweb@fox.nstn.ca>

Re: Press Release on Hurricane Mitch posted by Matthew Jonah.

I want to comment on Owen Hertzman's message to <Sustainable
Maritimes>, which read in part

>With all due respect to the awards given, most of the science in this
>email is CRAP that I wouldn't shovel to my first year students.

and

>3)  There is NO connection between increased global temperatures and
>increased tropical storminess--it's an urban legend.

The above comments certainly did not contribute positively to the
global warming debate. Contrary to what Owen asserts, other sources,
which I would consider knowledgeable, do see the link between global
warming and the increased number/destructiveness of hurricanes, etc.
- as the item below on the UNEP shows.

As for his statement,
>BUt please, don't lay this on fossil fuels.  I'm surprised the Sierra Club
>didn't do its homework on this.

could there be a touch of conflict of interest there, since Owen was a
consultant to one of the unsuccessful bidders for a Sable gas project
for a pipeline - North Atlantic Pipeline Partners, a.k.a. Tatham Offshore
Canada, Ltd?

Helga Hoffmann

HURRICANES PART OF CLIMATE CHANGE — UNEP

The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is taking it
seriously. There are strong scientific evidence that the new extreme
weather events associated with “La Nina” which is causing destructive
hurricanes like “Georges” which killed over 300 people and did more
than US$5 billion in damages, are being caused by global warming.
Peter Usher, Chief of UNEP's Atmosphere Unit, said that, La Nina
may be making conditions favourable for frequent and dangerous
Caribbean hurricanes like Georges". UNEP co-sponsored the US
National Centre for Atmospheric Research, in Boulder, Colorado,
a workshop on the “Review of the causes and consequences of cold
events, A La Nina Summit", from 15-17 July 1998. In recent months
many countries around the world, such as China and Bangladesh, have
experienced unusually large amounts of rainfall. Some meteorologists
are attributing the torrential rains around the globe to La Nina, or "little
girl" (in Spanish).

The resulting floods have had huge social, economic and environmental
consequences, says UNEP Executive Director Klaus Toepfer. "For the last
18 months or so, the talk has been only of El Nino whenever unusual and
destructive weather has made the headlines, whether it has been drought
and forest fires in Indonesia or floods in California", said Mr. Toepfer.
For more information, please contact, Tore Brevik, Director, UNEP
Information and Public Affairs, Nairobi, Tel+254-2-623292,
Fax+254-2-623927, Email tore.brevik@unep.org