[Fwd: Transport/Environment Policies of HRM: Transit downgrading]

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:41:43 -0800
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: aa670@chebucto.ns.ca, ar986@chebucto.ns.ca, dbrick@diligent.bio.dfo.ca, thefarmer@notonline.com

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:24:28 -0800
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: fitzgew@region.halifax.ns.ca
CC: cooperr@region.halifax.ns.ca, mcinroh@regional.halifax.ns.ca,
	greenoj@region.halifax.ns.ca, sartoc@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	hetherb@region.halifax.ns.ca, schofic@region.halifax, ns.ca,
	cunninj@region.halifax.ns.ca, blumenj@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	downeyg@region.halifax.ns.ca, uteckl@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	fougers@region.halifax, ns.ca, walkerr@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	stoneb@region.halifax.ns.ca, hansonr@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	adamss@region.halifax.ns.ca, harveyb@region.halifax.ns.ca,
	kellyp@region.halifax.ns.ca
Subject: Transport/Environment Policies of HRM: Transit downgrading

Dear HRM Councillors:

I wish to express the disappointment of consumer interest group Transport
2000 Atlantic in the recent fare increases and route cuts proposed for
HRM transit. We are particularly concerned that there seems to be an
impression that there is little citizen concern over these "cuts". The
rapidity with which they were first suggested and then approved may, we
feel, be largely responsible.

Our group would like to remind councillors that HRM is a member of the
Federation of Canadian Municipalities "20% Club". This serious commitment
requires member municipalities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (mainly
CO2) by 20% below 1990 levels by the year 2005. Our sense is that
currently Halifax has INCREASED its emissions and we are over half way
through the period.

The biggest contribution to Greenhouse Gas production is through burning
of fossil fuels in transportation. Reductions in urban areas should come
largely from use of public transit instead of private automobiles. Other
reductions can be expected from car pooling, and to some extent from the
alternatives of cycling and walking as well as more compact development.

I understand that the Halifax Regional Municipality has also embraced
programs suggested by the Transport Association of Canada. Some of their
proposals are:
   - minimizing "urban sprawl" by planning more compact development and
      providing tax incentives to limit "sprawl" and related auto use.
   - providing alternatives to single occupant auto use such as improved
      transit, high occupancy car lanes, and park and ride facilities
   - developing regulations (parking, emissions etc.) to encourage more
      efficient use of automobiles
   - use of economic instruments to encourage efficient autos, and use of
      transit, while taxing fuels and parking at higher rates

that "options making travel by car easier in the future than it is now
would NOT be considered". The answer is to start looking at alternatives
such as public transport and improved urban planning.

These ideas are all well known to planners. However they need to be
reminded by our elected officials that the strategies are to be given
priority and funded, if necessary, by a reduction in road expenditures
which serve only to increase automobile traffic.

John Pearce, President,
Transport 2000 Atlantic.