International Ocean Institute - Press Release (fwd)

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:40:54 -0400 (AST)
From: Daniel Haran <ah813@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Westhead, Maxine wrote:

> I can assure you that I know of several 'environmentalists' that will be
> there.  Just because someone is a government employee does not mean that
> they cannot be an environmentalist...does it?
> This is going to be a great conference!  Looking forward to the discussions
> that will result from it.

That is hardly the answer I was expecting, but it is my fault for not
making myself clear. Let me try again: will there be formal participation
of Non-Governmental, non-business organizations at this forum?

I am very pessimistic of the ability of individuals to influence the
outcome of such fora. The worldviews that emerge from these types of
discussion almost invariably represent the underlying assumptions that
justify the existence of the organizations represented.

An example is how a few top executives of corporations, bureacrats and
aspiring politicians came to consensus at the Bilderberg and Trilateral
commission. When a few 'post-modern' philosophers try to define power, it
is 'PowerKnowledge', that which most serves their perspective.

When corporate and governmental officials achieve consensus about
environmnental policy, the environmnent is something to be 'managed' by
those who know best, that is corporate executives and bureaucrats. This is
a very ANTI-DEMOCRATIC stance, and its result is usually disastrous,
witness the collapse of the fishery. The agenda that came out of the
Bilderberg and Trilateral commission is neo-liberalism, and its clearest
expression is the MAI (which was kept a secret for a long time!).

So again, why should we trust a group of perhaps well-intentionned
individuals to protect the oceans, if we know that the process is flawed,
and similarly flawed processes were anti-democratic and did not offer
real solutions?

Peace-

Daniel.