[Fwd: Dialogue: (update)]

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 18:27:03 -0400
From: BLR <blrltd@auracom.com>
To: Catherine Ann Fuller <cafuller@atcon.com>, Don Roht <roht@netidea.com>, Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>,
CC: Coastal Communities <coastalnet@auracom.com>, Dan Chiasson <dtlclaw@auracom.com>, "greenweb@fox.nstn.ca" <greenweb@fox.nstn.ca>,

--------------4070B1FCF0D624D492B00D57

__________________________________

Britt Roscoe, BLR-Land Resources Limited
RR# 1, Baddeck (Baddeck Forks)
Cape Breton, NS, CANADA, B0E 1B0

(902) 295-3180 (Home Phone)
(902) 295-1247 (Messages/Fax)
(902) 295-7745 (Mobile)
Email   blrltd@auracom.com

"It has become appallingly obvious that
our technology has exceeded our humanity."
                          Albert Einstein

--------------4070B1FCF0D624D492B00D57

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:34:44 -0500
From: Ling Lee <leel@em.agr.ca>
To: dialogue@aceis.agr.ca
CC: leel@em.agr.ca
Subject: Dialogue: (no subject)
Sender: owner-dialogue@aceis.agr.ca

November 27, 1998

Hi everyone,

On behalf of the Rural Secretariat, I thought that I would take an
opportunity to update you on what has occurred since the National Rural
Workshop was held October 2-4 in Belleville, Ontario and what our
proposed next steps are.  In addition, I would like to seek your views
on how to evolve this Rural Dialogue On-Line Discussion Group.

Since the National Rural Workshop was held, the reports summarizing the
discussions in each of the 64 break-out groups held at the Workshop have
been prepared.  We are currently translating these reports into the
other official language, but given their large number, it is quite a
time consuming task.  The consultant we hired has prepared a draft
summary Workshop report.  It was quite a challenge to adequately
synthesize all of the feedback received during the Workshop.  This
summary report is also being translated from English to French and as
soon as it is ready in both languages, it will be sent to all the
National Rural Workshop participants for their review and comments.
Once we receive comments back from the Workshop participants, we will
finalize the summary report and send it to all who have participated in
the Rural Dialogue to date and to those requesting a copy.  We will also
post it on our Canadian Rural Partnership web site.

As Minister Vanclief committed to during his closing remarks at the
National Rural Workshop, he will be taking the feedback received
throughout the Rural Dialogue, including a set of guiding principles
developed and a list of priority actions raised during the Rural
Dialogue to discuss with his Cabinet colleagues "those measures that the
federal government will act upon over the next few years.  But it's
essential that we don't lose sight of the fact that this is a
partnership. In addition to working within the federal government, I
will work with other levels of government, to ensure that we address
your concerns. I ask you to work with us so that our collective actions
help your communities to grow".   We will keep you informed on how the
federal government is responding to the concerns identified by rural
citizens during the Rural Dialogue.

The National Rural Workshop is one component of the ongoing Rural
Dialogue process, which offers rural citizens an opportunity to share
their views on the federal government's role in addressing issues facing
their communities.  Many rural citizens told us that they would like to
continue the Dialogue and be kept informed of federal government
activities in rural Canada.  We have already begun this process through
various means, such as our Canadian Rural Information Service, our
Canadian Rural Partnership web-site (www.rural.gc.ca) and this On-Line
Discussion Group.  We are exploring additional ways of continuing the
Dialogue, such as through a quarterly rural bulletin, a rural conference
and "networking" activities in provinces and territories, organized by
the Rural Teams.

As you know, through this on-line discussion group, Ms. Joann Verger
asked an open question over one month ago to Agriculture and Agri-Food
Canada with respect to the Natural Legacy 2000 announcement made on
October 7, 1998.  We recognize that it took some time to respond.  To
provide you with the most complete response possible, we developed the
response in partnership with other relevant federal departments, which
took some time, especially since the "rural lens" is still a relatively
new tool being used within the federal government.

To continue to make this on-line discussion group welcoming to everyone
and to foster constructive discussion, I encourage you to ask people you
know within your own networks to subscribe to this discussion group as
it gives people an opportunity to share and exchange thoughts and ideas
community-to-community.  It also permits discussion of issues relating
to rural Canada in order for governments to better understand local and
regional issues and to identify the appropriate role of the federal
government in addressing rural needs.

We are still experimenting with this on-line discussion group and are
looking at ways on how to make it an even more effective tool in
continuing the Rural Dialogue.  For example, we are currently testing a
new software which would enable us to better monitor the on-line
discussion.  Essentially, the new software will have the ability to
archive discussions under various headings, trace the discussion
sequences and provide a chronological log of all postings on the
network.  We hope to have this new software in place as soon as all the
technical aspects of the software have been tested and approved.  As
changes occur we will update all participants with regards to any
procedural changes and new features.  I would like to take this
opportunity to mention that we have been experiencing a lot of technical
difficulties with the current software, which we hope to overcome, in
part, with the new software.

I open the "floor" to you to obtain additional ideas on how to maximize
the use of this on-line discussion group.  I look forward to receiving
your suggestions.

Lynden Johnson
Executive Director

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!

DISCLAIMER / AVERTISSEMENT:
The use, distribution or publication of any material does not constitute or imply an endorsement by Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada of such material, or of any opinions or comments in such materials.  Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada further disclaims any and all warranties with regard to the use of the Rural Dialogue or the materials, express or implied.

Avertissement
L'utilisation, la distribution ou la publication de tout document par Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada n'engage pas sa responsabilité ni ne sous-tend que le Ministère souscrit aux opinions et commentaires émis.  Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada se dégage de toute garantie expresse ou implicite associée à l'utilisation du matériel du Dialogue rural.

See our posting policy at: http://www.rural.gc.ca/listserv_e.html
Veuillez voir notre politique d'affichage: http://www.rural.gc.ca/listserv_f.html

--------------4070B1FCF0D624D492B00D57--