sust-mar: Our Wreaders Rite

Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 07:34:42 -0400 (AST)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Following is a "letter to the editor" from a sust-mar subscriber who
prefers to remain anonymous. She is concerned about sust-mar content. I've
attached my response below.

For those in a hurry, the "short answer" is that if you want to see more
of something on sust-mar, i.e. local events; then please SEND IT TO ME! I
can't post what people don't submit.

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, a sust-mar subscriber wrote:

> Hi, don't want to bother you, but I am inquiring about the nature of this
> list. From what I understood about the recent changes to sust-mar, Kevin
> Chisolm's response to green-web's press release does not belong on this
> list. His response appears to be in the form of "more information
> please", but what it really seems to be is a "justify your position and
> post to my critique".
>
> The post sent by green-web is a posting about a particular event taking
> place, and a description of why the poster enourages people to attend or
> support it. I think that it is up to those receiving it to judge for
> themselves whether or not they want to do either. I am very tired of
> Kevin's attack on the local environmental community, he is certainly
> entiteled to his opinions, but I don't think sust-mar should be his
> personal soap-box, and I was under the impression that it was in fact the
> general feeling of the sust-mar subscribers that they did not want this
> type of discussion on this list and that this was why there is now an
> alternative list specifically for those who wish to "discuss".
>
> If you are busy, as I imagine you may be, you don't have to respond to my
> querry about how responses fit within the sust-mar mandate/purpose. Just
> be aware that as a subsciber, my interpretation of sust-mars role would
> not have included Kevin's response.

Thanks for the feedback! It's not the first time i've received comments
like this.

The bottom line is that the more people post, the more selective i can be
about what to put on the list. But i average about one message (received)
a day, so just about everything gets posted right now.

It's not easy deciding what to let through and what to "reject". In fact,
i reject very few messages outright, because it's rare that i can look at
a message and say "Oh, that DEFINITELY doesn't belong on sust-mar!" Those
who know me will tell you that i view the world in "black and white" (!)
... but most sust-mar posts are grey.

Rather, there tend imho to be degrees of "sust-mar-ness". I look at
factors like whether it's local news (that's the "mar" part), whether it
is time-sensitive, and of course whether it is environmental (the "sust").

Then i prioritise the messages. If it's a time-sensitive local event, i
will probably post it right away, or at least put it in a priority queue.
And if it's slightly in my opinion off topic, then i put it in a "routine"
queue. That's why you see messages with several week old dates.

I feel a lot more comfortable doing it this way, b/c it's often happenned
that something i think is "wrong" for the list generates a lot of interest
among others. The decision to moderate the list had more to do with
imposing *quantitative* restrictions than *qualitative*. The rate of ~one
message per day is proving very popular.

Keep in mind that i do all this assessment and prioritising at 6:00am,
when my mind is not at its sharpest ... so if your message is time
sensitive, you can help me out by putting a short note in the subject line
or at the beginning IN CAPITAL LETTERS telling me by when it should be
posted. I'll remove it before i post it.

But i digress ... keep the feedback coming.  And the events :)
~paul :)