on investing locally

Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 22:35:41 -0300
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: jslakov@TartanNET.ns.ca (Jan Slakov)

Greetings,

Earlier this year, I put together a message about investing responsibly for
this local advertising bi-weekly in which I do this
"Enviro-ideas/Enviro-idées" column.

The item I sent was rejected because the advertising paper will not take
ideas which some of their clients might object to and apparently they felt
this item was too partial to credit unions :-)

However, luckily Sust-Mar has no such restrictions!
all the best, Jan
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 09:44:24 -0400
From: Daughton/RCDC <lobie@isn.net>
Subject: Re: info on investing locally

The Regional Co-operative Development Centre (RCDC) has put together a
Community Catalyst Fund (CCF) that is designed to stimulate co-operative and
community development in Atlantic Canada. The $2M pool of capital comes from
both Atlantic Region Credit Unions and from the Atlantic Canada
Opportunities Agency (ACOA).

The fund will make equity investments in new or expanding co-op businesses
as well as investing in selected other businesses that have strong community
roots. Details of the CCF criteria and an application form can be obtained
by calling RCDC at 1-800-900-RCDC/7232 or by e-mailing RCDC@NBNET.NB.CA

This fund is only one example of Credit Union efforts to promote prosperity
in the region through local investment. We hope that more people will choose
their local Credit Union for their savings and investment needs, as well as
for a full range of financial services.

Happy New Year!!
Be Responsible with Your Money

If we are not careful, our savings and pension funds can end up being
invested in projects that destroy the earth and cause hardship for people.

Credit unions are known for their many initiatives to invest money
responsibly. Credit union members can invest in ethical RRSP funds or in
funds that are managed and invested locally, to help local co-operatives and
businesses.

We hope that more people will choose their local Credit Union for their
savings and investment needs, as well as for a full range of financial services.

L'investissement responsable

Si nous ne faisons pas attention, nos épargnes et fonds de pension peuvent
être investis dans des projets qui nuisent à l'environnement et aux gens.

Les caisses populaires sont connues pour leurs efforts pour investir d'une
manière responsable. Les membres de caisses populaires peuvent choisir des
fonds de REER "éthiques" ou des fonds gérés et investis localement, qui
servent à financer des coopératives et entreprises locales.

Nous espérons que plus de gens choisiront leur caisse populaire locale pour
leurs investissements et leurs besoins financiers en général.

Lobie Daughton
CED Systems Coordinator.
REGIONAL COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
CENTRE RÉGIONAL DE DÉVELOPPEMENT COOPÉRATIF
P.O. Box 968, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7M4, Canada.
Net: lobie@isn.net

Patricia Saulnier
gérante de la succursale Sainte-Marie de la Caisse Populaire de Clare

Creo que el mundo es bello,
que la poesía es como el pan,
de todos.

(I believe the world is beautiful
and that poetry, like bread, is for everyone)

Roque Dalton

Jan Slakov, Box 35, Weymouth, NS, Canada B0W 3T0  (902) 837-4980
                               ---
 CDR (Citizens for a Democratic Renaissance) home page ->
http://cyberjournal.org

         To keep posted on the democratic renaissance send an empty message to:
                   <renaissance-network-subscribe@cyberjournal.org>.
Note: Besides the renaissance network list, I also moderate a peace and
human rights list called "Bruna's list", a Canadian oceans protection list
and a list for Nuclear Abolition activists.
                Green Web Home Page

       http://fox.nstn.ca/~greenweb/gw-hp.htm