Road Building Policy

Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 20:43:21 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Dan O'Connor <OCONNODA@gov.ns.ca>
cc: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>, frankd@chebucto.ns.ca, falvo@interlog.com

Dan, thanks very much for responding on this.

However, having just reread your response i can't help feeling that the NDP
are missing the point on transportation and the environment.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the gist of your letter seems to be
"roads and public transit are both important - we can't commit to both -
so we're focusing on more roads right now."

Fair enough. Except that roads and public transit - particularly rail -
are not complementary strategies. They are contradictory.

Time and time it has been shown that more roads bring more cars (already
increasing 10-14% annually in Canada). More cars mean fewer trips by
public transit. More deaths due to air pollution (~2000 annually in
Ontario already). More traffic fatalities (~3000 annually in Canada
already).

Why is the NDP thus choosing to move us AWAY from rail and other forms of
public transit? Does the NDP not have experts who understand environmental
and transportation issues, and their interrelationship? The road building
policy sounds like it was drafted by a car salesperson.

In the same vein, the NDP health care platform makes no mention of
*prevention*. Is the NDP not aware that environmental factors are
responsible for many illnesses?

I voted NDP last time. But seeing now that NDP transportation strategy is
for more roads and hence more cars ... and that NDP health strategy is
limited to throwing money into treatment [a "band-aid solution, no pun
intended!] will make it hard for me to vote NDP this time.

Finally, given the history on sust-mar for some intense election debates
(!) please know that i say none of these things to be provocative, but am
merely calling them as i see them. I invite comment, criticism and
correction of my words. And recognising my inherent conflict as moderator,
i will post all replies.

Respectfully yours,
~paul :)

PS Dan, here are details on how to subscribe to sust-mar.  We're not an
exclusive group, so NDP campaign staff shouldn't feel they have to rely on
others to notify them of developments on sust-mar. In fact, maybe if more
NDPers were on sust-mar, we'd see better environmental policy ... :)